University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Kimberly, James C. / The history of the Neenah-Nodaway Yacht Club of Neenah, Wisconsin: an account of yacht racing on Lake Winnebago from 1859 to 1957
(1957)

Chapter 10: The junior division comes of age,   pp. 109-113


Page 109

 
CHAPTERJ 1CC               The Junior Division 
                     UComes of age 
 THE Neenah-Nodaway Junior program had its beginnings after 
 three dinghies were offered to the club on April 13, 1926, by 
 Frank Shattuck and Knox Kimberly for the use of Neenah lads 
 who had no boats of their own. At the time, general interest in the 
 sport needed a bracer, and it was thought that a program for teen- 
 agers would help turn the trick. Boys of this age had been skipper- 
 ing rowboats with sails or C boats off Neenah for years but with- 
 out benefit of program or organization. Behind this project were 
 the newly elected officers of the club: Jack Kimberly, commo- 
 dore; Bill Kellett, vice commodore; John Williamson, secretary- 
 treasurer. Frank Shattuck headed the regatta committee, which 
 had charge of the project, and was assisted by Bill Kellett, James C. 
 Kimberly, Knox Kimberly, and Leo Schubart. 
 By July 8 this group had settled on the qualifications for the 
 members; drafted special regulations to supplement Inland Asso- 
 ciation rules; provided for a supervisor to be chosen from the club 
 membership; and mapped out his duties. The new sailors were 
 drawn from two local boys' clubs, the St. Thomas scouts and the 
 Boys' Brigade. An applicant had to be between the ages of thirteen 
 and eighteen, able to swim fifty yards, and had to have parental 
 consent in writing. 
   Inland racing rules governed all contests, and special regula- 
tions were enforced to safeguard the lives of the boys and the 
property of the club. Crews were instructed in sailing, proper 
mooring, and the care of sails, rigging, boat covers, and other 
equipment. Each crew, after bringing a boat to dock, had to stand 
by for inspection before being dismissed by the supervisor. 
   Races were planned for Saturdays during July and August. No 
crew was allowed to sail the same boat in any two consecutive 
races, and at first only two boats were permitted to compete in a 
                                                        109 


Go up to Top of Page