University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Kimberly, James C. / The history of the Neenah-Nodaway Yacht Club of Neenah, Wisconsin: an account of yacht racing on Lake Winnebago from 1859 to 1957
(1957)

Chapter 8: The Neenah-Nodaway Club brings unity,   pp. 87-98


Page 87

 
CHAPTER Q          C The SYeenah-uXodaway Club 
           8i Brings Unity 
IN 1905 rumors of a reconciliation between the two Neenah clubs 
became an established fact. On July 13, 1905, Lyall J. Pinkerton, 
the Nodaway commodore, and James C. Kimberly met with 
William M. Gilbert and Stephen R. Davis of the Neenah Club. 
Their plans, as endorsed by the joint membership, launched the 
Neenah-Nodaway Yacht Club. The first place in the new title was 
given to the older club. The officers were drawn from the two 
organizations: Lyall J. Pinkerton, commodore; Will Davis, vice 
commodore; Frank Shattuck, secretary-treasurer; John Sensen- 
brenner, measurer; J. A. Kimberly, Jr., fleet captain; and Henry 
Kimberly, C. B. Clark, and William Krueger, regatta committee. 
  In the decade preceding the merger, the Nodaway Yacht Club 
had already achieved its main purpose: a revival of yachting on 
Lake Winnebago under equal racing conditions. It had introduced 
the class-dimension yacht to the lake and had seen the Inland Asso- 
ciation not only adopt the principle but also, recently, enforce it. 
  The officers who had served the club during that period were: 
as commodore, James C. Kimberly (1894-1900), Frank Shattuck 
(1901-1903), Lyall J. Pinkerton (1904-1905); as vice commo- 
dore, James H. Wright (1895-1900), Charles B. Clark (1901- 
1905); as   secretary-treasurer, James H. Wright (1894), 
Edward P. Sherry (1895-mid 1898), Lyall J. Pinkerton (mid 
1898-1903), Frank Shattuck (1904-1905); as measurer, Lucius K. 
Henry, William Z. Stuart, Lyall J. Pinkerton, Will Davis, Frank 
Shattuck, Edward P. Sherry, Frank A. Leavens, Charles B. Clark, 
Henry H. Kimberly, and James C. Kimberly. Edward P. Sherry 
had resigned his office during 1898 when he left town, and W. Z. 
Stuart, who could be called the chief architect of the organization 
in its early days, had asked to be transferred to the honorary mem- 
bership list the following year because of pressure of business. 
                                                         87 


Go up to Top of Page