University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah
(1958)

Natural ice business,   p. 295 PDF (194.1 KB)


Page 295


              NATURAL ICE BUSINESS
WE wERE well into the 20th Century (about the third decade) when
electricity made its appearance for household gadgets and appliances,
including refrigeration units. Prior to that time, all refrigeration was
achieved through natural ice, harvested during January and Febru-
ary, and stored in rough frame buildings on the shore of Lake Winne-
bago. The ice, as it was stacked, tier upon tier, was buried in sawdust
to protect it from summer's heat. The ice was delivered to customers
by a horse drawn covered wagon, the driver using ice tongs to carry
the cakes from the street to the ice box.
  One icehouse, owned by Thomas Jones, stood at the east end of
East Wisconsin Avenue. The other and larger establishment was the
property of William Arnemann. His son, Arthur Arnemann, submits
the following as to his father:
  "William Arnemiann-arrived in 1872, married in 1873. Established natural
ice
business in 1876. Original ice house located at homestead, 622 Isabella Street.
Fred
Staffeld was first regular ice delivery man, hired in 1878.
  "Later the property by the lake was purchased, and two more ice houses
were
erected. The swimming pool now occupies the land on which the ice houses
stood.
  "The business was in the family until 1937, when it was sold to A.
F. Schultz, fuel
dealer."
295


Go up to Top of Page