Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah
Doty Cabin, pp. 234-235 PDF (545.2 KB)
DOTY CABIN ON Aucus'r 31, 1835, James D. Doty purchased, from the Federal Government, land totaling IOO acres for the sum of $6oo (on the Island, "Doty Island"). The purchase of this land was possible be- cause the Island and land on the Menasha side of the Fox River was not a part of the Indian Reservation. Neenah, or the land south of the south branch of the Fox River, remained a part of the Menominee Indian Reserve, and was not open to settlement until after the Treaty of the Cedars in 1836, or to purchase until after 1846. The original site for the cabin was selected because of its view and accessibility to the lake. Built in 1845, the cabin was a realization of a dream long held by Doty, to provide a rustic place for retirement. Mrs. Doty named the cabin the "Grand Loggery." Here the family lived until in i86o, when Lincoln appointed Doty to the Superintend- ency of Indian affairs in the Utah territory, which office he held until his appointment to the Governorship of the same territory in 1863. His death occurred in 1865, and he is buried at Fort Douglas in Salt Lake City. Mrs. Doty returned to this region and lived with a daughter, Mrs. Fitzgerald, in Oshkosh. Mrs. Gleason, whose husband was a partner in the Wilde and Gleason Drug Store, was born in this building. Because there was no suitable home for the doctor to work, Governor Doty took her into his home. The land and the Loggery were purchased by Hugh H. Ernsting on January 28, 1868, from Mrs. J. D. Doty. In 1875, John Roberts purchased the site and Loggery from Mr. Ernsting for the purpose of erecting a resort, which was opened to the public on May 30, 1877. The Cabin served as an annex to the resort, serving as housing space for the help, and also accommodated pool tables and card tables on the first floor. John Roberts sold the prop- erty to Strange, and the Cabin lay abandoned until T926, when the D.A.R. became interested, and under its influence it was moved to Doty Park and opened to the public. 234
This image may be copied freely by individuals, educational institutions, and libraries for personal use, research, teaching, or any 'fair use' as defined by U.S. copyright laws. Please include the following statement with any copies you make: 'Photograph courtesy of the Neenah Public Library.'