Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah
Dentistry, pp. 231-233 PDF (745.8 KB)
DENTISTRY IN 1841 the first Dental School was founded. Previous to that time and up to i885 dentists were trained by other dentists, known as pre- ceptors. In I885 the first law regulating the licensing of dentists was enacted in Wisconsin. Men already in practice had only to register and make an affidavit attesting that they were already practicing. In 1885 three men were in Neenah: Dr. J. P. Mertes had been here two years, Dr. V. M. Valerious for eight years, and Dr. J. T. Enos for an unknown period. We only know that Dr. Enos was number twelve to register in the state. The following year, 1886, noted a new man, Dr. W. E. Young. A year later we find that Dr. W. H. Meeker was added to the dental group. Meeker was here for several years. After his retirement to live in Appleton, he sold insurance, his wide acquaintance in the area being of considerable advantage. Dr. Orrin Thompson came here in 1889 and continued till 1907, when his office was taken over by Dr. Win. M. Post. A successor to Dr. Post was Dr. J. M. Donovan, who took over Dr. Post's office in 191 I, Dr. Post at that time moving to the state of Oregon. Dr. W. F. Gary was in Neenah for thirty-five years, from 1894 till 1929. Dr. Frederick Taylor spent twenty-seven years in Neenah, 1896 till 1923, when Dr. G. N. Ducklow took over his office. Dr. Ducklow is still here and has a dentist son, Dr. Robert Ducklow, who has just returned to practice here after his hitch in the U. S. Army. Dr. Albert J. DuBois and Dr. George Barlow joined the dentists here in 1897. Both con- tinued here till their deaths. Dr. Gary was an exceptionally fine mechanic. His was a mind with a mechanical trend. In his laboratory were many devices made by him- self. Dr. Gary was one of the founders of "Xi Psi Phi"-a dental col- lege fraternity. Shortly before retiring he was a guest of the fraternity at the University of Michigan. Dr. George Barlow, besides doing dentistry, had diversified inter- ests. At one time, before the advent of the modern local anesthetic, he had the sole rights to use a patented local called Odun-under. He 231
This image may be copied freely by individuals, educational institutions, and libraries for personal use, research, teaching, or any 'fair use' as defined by U.S. copyright laws. Please include the following statement with any copies you make: 'Photograph courtesy of the Neenah Public Library.'