University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah

The 1870's,   pp. 29-[40] PDF (3.1 MB)

Page 29

                   THE I8 7O's
 CON'rINt :INC our bird's eye view of history flowing to us from
         the past, we come to the last decade of the Cunningham era.
         Clwers, IKimball & K~ellett
  The forerunner of the present Elwers Drug Store was established
in the Pettibone Block under the name of Kimberly and Henry Drug
House. This was in 1870.
  This store has always been in this location, except during the re-
building after the great fire of January, 1883. Fred Elwers, George's
father, attained a national record by working in and supervising this
one store from age 22 to age 92.
  On the north side of Wisconsin Avenue, in the space now occupied
by Harmon McCarthy, the Kimball Jewelry Store opened for business.
William 0. Nelson clerked for Kimball, and eventually bought him
out. Mr. Nelson was succeeded by Mr. McCarthy.
  On the northeast corner of Wisconsin Avenue and North Commer-
cial Street, William Kellett operated a general store in I866. It was
here that E. E. Jandrey got his start, selling his services for $75 per
year and board. Eventually Mr. Jandrey purchased the business from
the Kellett estate, it having been moved to its present location prior
to Mr. Kellett's passing.
,Xeena/ Gazette and G. Q/. Cunningham
  1871 saw the Neenah Gazette founded by Charles Boynton, who
found space in the second floor of the Pettibone Block, which burned
in 1883. It was at the midpoint of this decade that Mr. Cunningham
comes into view. In 1875 he was hired by Boynton. Three years later
we find him editing the paper and author of the History of Neenah,
printed at the "Gazette Printing Establishment." Subsequently the

Go up to Top of Page