University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Kinney, Thomas P. / Irish settlers of Fitchburg, Wisconsin, 1840-1860
(1993)

Notes,   pp. 91-96 PDF (3.1 MB)


Page 91

Notes
Abbreviations
DCLRR Dane County Land Regulation and Records
FHS Fitchburg Historical Society-Archives
SHSW State Historical Society of Wisconsin-Archives
1. Eighth Census of the United States, 1860, Dane County, Wisconsin,
Population, Volume 3, pp. 90-119; Sister M. Justille McDonald, History of the
Irish in Wisconsin in the Nineteenth Century (Washington, D.C., The
Catholic University of America Press, 1954), pp. 3, 8. The words town and
township will be used interchangeably in this book. Both terms will refer to
a rural area as opposed to an urban center.
2. McDonald, pp. 254-298.
3. Lorin Miller, "T. 6N. R. 9 East 4th Meridian-1833," in Survey
Plat Maps, Series 698 (Dubuque, Iowa, United States General Land Office,
1851) SHSW; Wisconsin Territorial Census, 1842, Dane County; Butterfield,
C. W., ed., History of Dane County, Wisconsin (Chicago, Western Historical
Company, 1880), p. 1254; Fox, Philip, The Fox Family of Kilcoursey (Fitch-
burg, Wisconsin, 1984), p. 60. The Indian trail running from Janesville to
Madison includes today's Fish Hatchery Road. The log hotel was Quivey's
inn on the edge of Swan Pond south of the intersection of Fish Hatchery
Road and County M.
4. Federal Land Office, Milwaukee, Tract Books for Dane County, vol.
30, T. 6N.-R. 9E., p. 65, SHSW.
5. U.S. Census Office, Population of the United States, 1860 (Washing-
ton, D.C., 1864), pp. 532, 534; When the word "pioneers" is used in this
text, it refers to settlers and not to members of the Pioneer Total Absti-
nence Association of late nineteenth-century Ireland. People within that
society pledged not to drink alcohol.
6. Milwaukee Sentinel (March 19, 1843).
7. Sixth Census of the United States, 1840, Wisconsin, Population,
Volume 1, p. 185; 1860 Population, p. 539; Kathleen N. Conzen, Immigrant
Milwaukee, 1836-1860 (Cambridge, Massachusetts, Harvard University
Press, 1976), p. 14.
8. Pioneers of the Irish settlement in Cottage Grove township
included John and Martha Gallagher who came from the Parish of Schull,
Rock Island, County Cork in 1855. They raised twelve children in Cottage
Grove. Descendants of their son Thomas have lived in Fitchburg on Fish
Hatchery Road since the early 1900's. Elisha W. Keyes, ed., History of Dane
County, Wisconsin (Madison, Wisconsin, Western Historical Association,
1906), p. 306. Reference-Nola Gallagher McGann, Madison, Wisconsin.
9. McDonald, p. 262.
10. Ibid., p. 74.
11. Ibid., p. 262.
12. 1860 Population, p. 534; McDonald, p. 262; August Ligowsky,
"Madison," Map of Dane County, Wisconsin (Madison, Wisconsin, 1861),
SHSW.
13. Wisconsin State Journal (November 20, 1854).
14. Oregon Observer, Souvenir of Oregon Centennial (Oregon, Wiscon-
sin, 1941), p. 45.
15. Dr. William H. Fox and William Vroman, "Fitchburg," William J.
Park, ed., Madison, Dane County, and Surrounding Towns (Madison, Wis-
consin, William J. Park and Co., 1877), p. 462.
16. Early references to Fish Hatchery Road's previous name, "Old
Janesville Road," are found in a number of documents. Minutes and Plat
of the Survey of Two Roads Intersecting into the Janesville Road, Map (Dane
County, Wisconsin Ter., 1845), DCLRR; Greenfield/Fitchburg Town Clerk
Records, vol. 1 (1848), p. 22, FHS.
17. Richard D. Durbin and Elizabeth Durbin, "Wisconsin's Old Mili-
tary Road: Its Genesis and Construction," Wisconsin Magazine of History,
vol. 68, no. 1 (Autumn, 1984), p. 6.
18. Orin Grant Libby, "Significance of the Lead and Shot Trade in
Early Wisconsin History," in Collections of the State Historical Society of
Wisconsin, ed. by Reuben Gold Thwaites (Madison, Wisconsin, 1895),
pp. 314-315, 319; Charles N. Brown, "Christiana," William J. Park, ed.,
Madison, Dane County, and Surrounding Towns (Madison, Wisconsin, Wm.
J. Park and Co., 1877), p. 355.
19. Wisconsin, Map (Philadelphia, Carey and Hart, 1842), SHSW; Plat
and Minutes of the Survey of a Territorial Road from Whitewater to Mineral
Point, Map (Dane County, Wisconsin Ter., 1846), DCLRR. The lead trail
that crossed northern Green County passed by lead mines that employed
a number of Irish in the southeastern part of the Town of Exeter near the
Sugar River. Two stone buildings still stand at what was once a mining
town referred to on the 1842 map as "Livingston," which was located near
Doyle Road more than a mile northwest of Attica. An agricultural commu-
nity developed that included a number of County Antrim Scotch-Irish
families who settled in Exeter beginning in 1849. McDonald, pp. 70-71.
Irish-American families continue to farm in the area today. Reference-
Dan Kinney, Brooklyn township, Wisconsin.
20. Libby, pp. 315, 317; Increase A. Lapham, Wisconsin (Milwaukee,
Wisconsin, P. C. Hale, 1844), SHSW, p. 139. One reference to the lead
shipments through Milwaukee is as follows: "Mineral Point-From this
point the Lead and Copper is sent to the East by the way of Milwaukee


Go up to Top of Page