Dallas Centennial 1870-1970 : August 15-16, 1970
The village board
ZJf~l5 (74 ffaqj f/Soaw' Front row: Frances Hollister, clerk; Mel Bonkrude, trustee; Ole Severude, President; Wayne Peterson, assessor. Back row: Ed Vergin, trustee; Knute Berg, trustee; Arlie Ca'n, Treasurer; and Gayle Dague, trustee. Ed Vergin has been a member of the village board since 1930, with an exception of two years. He has also served as village President for many years. Knute Berg has been on the villg3 board since 1942, with the exception of two years. The Village of Dallas was incorporated in 1903, the charter being dated June 26th, at the circuit court at Superior. A. J. Vinge was the circuit judge at the time. The first election was held on August 15th of that year, and the officials elected were as follows: President, R. J. Tuttle; clerk, David Russell; treasurer, J. A. Anderson; trustees, Even Erickson, A. P. Manion, S. A. Sev- erson, E. A. Pelton, Isaac Pecore and Harry Halverson; supervisor, Knute Espeseth; assessor, J. M. Pelton; constable, J. E. Quam; justices of the peace, J. K. Johnson and F. F. Tibbetts; police justice, D. Russell. Electricity was wired from the Anderson Mill to light the village in 1914., Oscar and Maft An- derson put up poles and did the wiring. This sup- plied the village with power until the Wisconsin Hydro Co. of Amery came into town with their power. This company later sold to our present suppliers of power NSP. A new water system was needed, so this pro- ject was started when Ed Vergin was president of the village. This was completed in 1958 and in 1963 a sewer system was installed. Then the job of finishing the streets was taken on and by 1964 curb and gutter, along with the blacktopping of the streets was completed. Harlow Berg was the village president when this work was done. Ed Vergin has attended a school for the mainten- ance of both these systems. The village business meetings and elections were conducted in the old Village Fire Hall for many years. When NSP put up a new office, the vil- lage bought their old building for their office. The village then sold this building to John Brendel for his store and they moved into the former Lam- perts office, where they are now situated. The Dal- las Library is also located there.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright