Dallas Centennial 1870-1970 : August 15-16, 1970
The Dallas civic club
zTI;A5 Lb a [fai In the 1930's the businessmen felt that there was a need for an organization to promote the village so they formed the Dallas Commercial Club. The Club which consisted mainly of businessmen, sponsored weekly free shows during the summer months. In 1960, under the leadership of President, Harlow Berg, the name of the Club was changed to the Dallas Civic Club and incorporated under the laws of the State of Wisconsin. The Club mem- bership was opened to any person in the Dallas area. A new and enlarged program was then put into effect. Because there wasn't a sportsman's club in Dallas, the Civic Club then undertook to encourage conservation in the Dallas area. The Club started a Community Chest in Dal- las. They promote one charity drive each year which is conducted each spring. Dan Severude was the President in 1965 when the Club, with the cooperation of village and town- ship officials installed lights on the ball field in the park. Other major accomplishments have been; raising pheasants for release for hunting, fenc- ing off parts of Pine Creek on the Arthur Berg farm to improve trout fishing, planting trees in various places, arranging for Santa Claus to come to town each Christmas, sponsoring Little League and Babe Ruth baseball teams for the boys, poisoning weeds in the village pond, organizing a Farmer's Softball League for all men and boys, and sponsoring Boy Scouts. The Centennial being held in 1970 was started by the Civic Club, but other clubs were asked to help to make the Centennial a success. Present officers of the Civic Club are James Anderson as President, Wayne Peterson as Vice President, and Dan Severude as Secretary-Treasur- er. Herb Lee is on the Conservation Committee and Kenneth Espeseth on the Community Chest Committee. Ed Vergin, Kenneth Espeseth, and Knute Berg are the only active members of the Civic Club who were Charter members of the Commerciat Club. Be ng a new dimension in wintertime fun the Dallas Drifters Snowmobile Club was founded November 13, 1969 at the Dallas School cafeteria. Ed Morneau was elected president; Don Smith, vice president and Maxine Smith, Secretary- treasurer. The Drifters club has a 35 family membership and meets every two weeks during the snow season. Activities include trail riding through the countryside, family picnics and out- ings, viewing of snowmobile films and weekend trail-riding at Laona. It's "Family Fun" and the "Drifters" welcome new snow goers to this excit- ing sport.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright