Dallas Centennial 1870-1970 : August 15-16, 1970
FROM' HORSE AND BUGGY DAYS TO MODERN TELEPHONE SERVICE On the present site of Chibardun Telephone Co-operative headquarters building there was formerly a thriving business conducted by the Randall Brothers. Frank and Bert built the livery barn about 1905. When salesmen and others came in on the train they needed a "rig" and sometimes a driver to get them around. Knute Ellefson was in the business for awhile and so was George Keller. Mr. Keller also had a barn across the street where he kept stallions. His sons, Alec and Archie, helped with the livery service. Later Carl Espeseth bought out the building and business and continued to run it even after the horseless carriage was invent- ed. He continued as a dealer in farm and riding horses. One cold nght in the early thirties the whole town was warmed and lighted by a fire which burned it to the ground. ZTJ+Aonfi 0"- James A. Anderson had the first telephone in Dallas in his home, Ernie Babcock took it over and established the first central office in the hotel. Jule Anderson and Ole Lee were lineman. The Farmer's Company started by Ole Berger bought out the village system. There was a com- pany to the north as well as the one out in Sioux Creek which later combined. The office was in the feed store run by Twain Pecore at one time. Later it was upstairs in the Jorstad Store building, which at that time was the Farmer's Store. All this was before the "new" office build- ing was built on the site of the present tele- phone company. Joe Flacstad was lineman for many years and familiar names on the board of di- rectors were Ole Wall, Leon Jewett, John Randall, Art Borgen, Art Hankin, Tracy Dowd, Ole Lee and others. The Central girls were social secretaries also. If anyone was planning to be gone they left a message with "Central" so she would know where they could be reached. Some of these girls were: Alma and Elsie Pecore, Ruby Parks, Ellen Huset, Agnes Massie, Olga Severude, and many others. There was twenty-four hour service. Line rings for public announcements and fire alarms were an important part of their duties. With the progress of the communication in- dustry it was too expensive for small companies to modernize alone, so five small companies com- bined to form the Chibardun Telephone Coopera- tive. Dallas sold to the co-op in 1957. Joe Flag- stad continued to work for the co-op until his re- tirement. The Dallas representative on the board of directors had been Art Berg, acting as Secre- tary of the board. Because of its location, Dallas was chosen as headquarters for the Co-op and a garage for vehicles was built in 1959. The present office building was built in 1965. Andrew Omtvedt has been manager of Chibardun since it began in 1956. Present employees and Board Members are listed in the Chibardun Telephone Co-op ad on the back page of this book.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright