Dallas Centennial 1870-1970 : August 15-16, 1970
Second avenue, Dallas, Wis.
,::_second2 The Band Shell was prominent in many happy events of the community as there was a famous local band which performed both in concert and on celebration programs. In later years it stood across the street on the site used for free out- door movies and other civic affairs. On the same spot James A. Anderson built a garage in 1910. Perhaps this was the reason for moving the band stand. His son, Jule, opened it for selling and repairing Reo, Oakland, and Overland cars. In a few years he took Sylvan Ellefson into partnership and in 1919 sold out to him. Sylvan sold Oldsmobiles later and continued in the garage business until his death on March I, 1962. Jule Anderson is living in Eau Claire. The hotel was built by James A. Anderson also. His son, Oscar managed it at first. Others who ran it were Robert Pecore, Frank Sprague, father of Mrs. Axel Jorstad and John Anderson. Then Wilmer Black bought it and renamed it the Black Bear Hotel. For several years now it has been used for a Rest Home, first by the Good Samaritan Corporation and now is owned by Richard Johnston and called the Dallas Rest Home. An addition was built on a few years ago by Good Samaritan while Mrs. John Stole was man- age r, and more remodeling has recently been com- pleted. Mrs. Richard Hlavka manages it for Mr. Johnston. The next building on the street which is now owned by Oscar Repaal, has had a varied his- tory. The Farmer's Store Company began there be- fore they put up the brick building now housing the Jorstad Store. We haven't learned the correct chronological order in which the occupation took place, but it has been a theater, a saloon, a restaurant with living quarters upstairs, a store, a pool hall or recreation center, and a black- smith shop. There were silent movies in black and white and sort of a blue color shown in the twenties. There were Memorial Day programs held there years ago and Eric Repaal had a pool hall in it. He began the blacksmith shop which his son, Oscar, now operates. There was a small but active business place on Second Avenue between the present blacksmith shop and locker building. At one time Nels Ber- gene had a jewelry store there. Then Hans Clair, who married Josie Jacobson from the hat shop across the street, was the jeweler. He sold out to Henry Halverson. When Henry and Alfred Hal- verson took the jewelry and mortician business to Main Street, Elmer Olson started a music store in that building. Elmer sold pianos, instruments, records, vic- trolas, radios, and sheet music. He was also vil- lage clerk for some time and was also the first policeman. He directed a band and sang in the male chorus. That building burned and Elmer moved across the street and later into the Main Street location that the Halversons vacated when they moved across the bridge to the present Miller Funeral Home. Martin McKee was a barber on second ave- nue in 1900. He had two chairs constantly busy. That must have been about the time the beards started coming off. The Fuller brothers, Frank and David were also early 1880's settlers. Mrs. Arthur Fuller, a daughter-in-law of David lives here with her son Bob. Her daughter is Dorothy, Mrs. Harlow Berg. Many in the area were former students of Bessie Fuller who had a long teaching career. Some interesting facts were found in an old school clerk's book. There were two terms, four months in the winter and three in the summer. They preferred men teachers in the winter, possibly because of keeping the building warm or maybe because the big boys had time to go to school then. The salary was thirfy-five dollars a month (twenty days) in winter and for women teachers in the summer, twenty-five dollars. It was necessary to pass a test given by the county superintendent on the following subjects: Orthography, Pronunciation, Reading, Penman- ship, Mental Arithmetic, Written Arithmetic, Gram- mar, Geography, United States History, Constitu- tion of the United States, Constitution of Wiscon- sin, Theory of Teaching and Physiology. 2 ~fal (VL_.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright