Dallas Centennial 1870-1970 : August 15-16, 1970
Jl-51ad Sswlcel Postal service to the community started at a site south of the village at what was called "Sylvan Springs." There was a post office at the Hufnail farm with W. Hufnail as the postmaster. In 1877 W. S. Foster opened a store south of the village, and he was appointed postmaster. At this time the name was changed to Dallas. In 1879 Foster moved his store to a site west of the pond. The post office was usually placed in a busi- ness building, and the proprietor was appointed the postmaster. J. G. Johnson had the post office in his general store on the west side of the pond. K. Espeseth had it later on, in his general store. Torger Olson and Frank Johnson had it in their places of business also. Dr. Thatcher operated the post office in his drug store at one time. The post office was then moved to the building it now occupies. Gert Grindy, Joe Wall, Alma Beggs, and Herb Lee were all postmasters in this building. In 1965 a remodeling of the inside was done. James Anderson is the present postmaster. Rural mail service began in 1903 with three routes. Horses and mail cart was the mode of transportation. Some of the rural carriers were Bill Hansen, E. Keyes, Tom Olson, C. Hankins, Alec Keller, Emil Gehler, Perry Kahl, and the present carrier, Herb Lee. Many changes have taken place in this as- pect of public service.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright