Dallas Centennial 1870-1970 : August 15-16, 1970
This is Dallas
Through the pages of this book let us take you back through the years to the beginning of what is now the village of Dallas. We will try to touch on the highlights of its past, gleaned from preserved records and the recol- lections of our old timers. So many have been a part of the life of Dallas but names have been changed; the Bergs to Olson, Tollefson to Granum, Hanson to Ellefson, Stenseth to Amundson, Rolstad to Halverson, Olson to Borgen so if anyone has been ommitted - maybe the name has been changedl In the year of 1870, three men came to this area, found a place to their liking, brought their families, built homes and began to farm. These three men were Ole Knutson, his brother-in-law, Nels Tollefson, and his son, Tollef Nelson. They settled near a creek and parts of their farms were later to be included in the village of Dallas. Nels Tollefson is said to be the first Norwegian settler in the Dallas Township. He settled on the west side of Pine Creek. His homestead consisted of 160 acres. Mr. Tollefson cleared 100 acres and built a set of log buildings which he later re- placed by frame structures. Supplies had to be hauled by oxen or carried on foot from Eau Claire and on trips to city he would influence friends to come and join him in his newly found paradise. Often the family would awaken to find someone camping on their doorstep, and there was wall to wall people while another home was hewn out of the woods. Nels Tollefson's son, Tollef Nelson, made his home one half mile to the west of the creek. He died while he was still a young man. Nels Tollefson's daughter, Anna, married J. G. Johnson, who came to the area as a log scaler before the Civil War. He served in the Volunteer Infantry in 1864 to 66. When he returned, he work- ed for William Foster and James Anderson before starting a general store with T. 0. Malum and Anton Granum. He was postmaster for sixteen years. He bought the farm from his father-in-law who lived with them and at the age of 92 enjoy- ed telling stories of pioneer days. When Johnson passed away his son Frank G. succeeded him as postmaster, farmed on his grandfather's homestead, and was active in civic affairs of Dallas. His sons Norton and Franklin are still in Dallas and vicinity. Anton Granum, son of Tollefson, finished his education in Norway before joining the family here. He went into the store with Mr. Johnson and later bought and built up the farm now owned by Raymond Kuhn. He had one son Norval whose widow still lives in the village limits, and one grandson, Ronald Granum residing in Barron. His daughter Anna married Sofus Moe, who was a Dal- las merchant for many years. At one period of Dallas history the Moes with the John Johnsons operated a restaurant. The wives were such good cooks that they were in demand, after they were both widowed, to cook at Luther Park Bible Camp. Many of the old pictures in this book are from the collection of Anna Granum Moe. Four generations of Nels Tollefson Granum. Left to right are Nels; Norton Johnson, great grandson; Frank Johnson, grandson, and Franklin Johnson, great grandson. Standing is Mrs. J. G. Johnson, daughter.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright