University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Bingham, Helen M. (Helen Maria) / History of Green County, Wisconsin
(1877)

History of Green County,   pp. [9]-64 PDF (10.7 MB)


Page [9]

HISTORY OF GREEN COUNTY. 
GREEN COUNTY is a square of sixteen townships. It 
is one of the six counties in Wisconsin that border upon 
Illinois. Eighty miles from its eastern boundary is Lake 
Michigan; forty miles from its south-western, and sixty 
miles from its north-western boundary line, is the Miss- 
issippi. The counties bounding it in its own state are 
Dane on the north, Rock on the east, and La Fayette 
and Iowa on the west. 
Geologically, Green County is in the limestone dis- 
trict of southern Wisconsin, and nearly all of its western 
half is included in what is called the lead region of the 
state, which is, as is well-known, a driftless region, 
The eastern half of the county, in which the marks of 
drift currents are everywhere discernable, is remarkable 
for including at Exeter the only lead mines found inthe 
three states of Illinois, Iowa, and Wisconsin outside of 
the driftless region. 
The surface of the county is undulating. Prof. J. 
D. Whitney, in the State Geological Report for i862, 
has called attention to the fact, that while the whole 
2 


Go up to Top of Page