University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Sneath, Thomas S. / A directory of the city of Stoughton, and the villages of Edgerton, Milton and Milton Junction
(1882)

Historical sketch,   pp. [39]-50


Page [39]

In 1847 Mr. Luke Stoughton, perceiving the advantages
to be derived from the natural water power of the Yahara
River, purchased of Daniel Webster a large tract of land
covering the site of the present village to which he has
given his name. Very soon after he made the purchase he
began the erection of a sawmill by the river bank and plat-
ted a portion of his land into village lots. To settlers who
would locate in the place he held out special inducements,
and Alvin West was the first to take advantage of these.
On the site of the present Hutson House Mr. West erected
an inn and moved into it his family, constituting the first
household in the village. As the road to Madison passed
near by the infant settlement the house was often patronized
by travelers. The spring of 1848 brought men desirous of
settling in the place, and the harsher sounds of man's indus-
try mingled with the sweet music of feathered songsters.
Houses began to fill vacant spaces, and Colton and West-
cott erected the brick building near the upper bridge and
became the first blacksmiths. Iki the same year Mr.
Stoughton opened a general merchandise store which was a
great convenience to the inhabitants,
In 1849 Amos Flyte paid a visit to the settlement and de-
cided a tie vote in favor of erecting a school house. The
meeting was held in West's inn and Flyte attended as a
mere looker-on. When it was found the ballot stood even
Levi Houghman perceived him and asked him if he had
voted, and receiving a negative reply, said: "What are you
doing over there, then ? Come over here." His vote was not
questioned. In the following year the brick school house,


Go up to Top of Page