University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Ingram, Orrin Henry, 1830-1918 / Autobiography, Orrin Henry Ingram : May, 1830--December, 1912

Remained with the Gilmores,   pp. 36-37 PDF (423.5 KB)

Page 36

   I left Toronto on the Great Western road, running from
Toronto to Windsor, opposite Detroit, and as I remember the
next train we met after leaving Toronto went through a bridge,
causing such a great loss of life as to make it one of the worst
accidents in this country at that time. I spent a day or two
in Grand Rapids looking over the opportunity for lumbering
and went from there to New Ago, by stage, and spent a day or
two there. Found a man in New Ago from Glens Falls, N. Y.,
whom I had known. From there I went to Kalamazoo, took
the Michigan Central back to Detroit, the Great Western to
Niagara Falls, the New York Central to Rome, and from Rome
to Ogdensburg by stage, and from Prescott, across the river
from Ogdensberg to Ottawa by stage, reaching home after
an absence of about three weeks. I had kept your mother ad-
vised by telegraph when I could, and by letter, but she, of
eourse, as she always did, worried a good deal while I was
away. After a day's rest I resumed work at the Gatineau mills,
satisfied that before attempting to go into the lumbering busi-
ness in Michigan I ought to have more money than I had or
knew where I could get it, and that I had better stick to my sal-
ary, which had been increased £1,500 a year, making $6,000.
   One of the things I did in my second year with the Gilmores
was to make what became a celebrated gang-edger. I had
learned the necessity for a different method of edging lumber
than by running it through on a small table and taking off one
edging, then pulling the table back by hand and turning three
inch plank over and taking off another edging. I conceived
the idea, that, by having one moveable saw on a steel arbor,
we eould just as well have a rack or pinion on that table and
drive it through by power, taking off both edgings at the same
time. I got a millwright named Booth (now one of the largest
lumbermen in Canada), to make for me a modeL He did most
of the work at night, in a small back room, where he had a
bench and lamps. He and I made the model. On showing it

Go up to Top of Page