Schoenfeld, Clay (ed.) / Wisconsin alumnus
Volume 48, Number 6 (March 1947)
Construction, p. 9
Capital Times photo by Miller VETERANS WHO THOUGHT THEY had seen the last of the army's ubiquitous Quonset huts on Adak or in Britain came back to the Uni- versity only to find the selfsame huts sprawled over thlý lower campus. Members of a freshman English class peer out of one' of the six emer- gency classrooms which now stand where the BOTC used to drill An emergency reading room nearby has just been opened. This new re- serve book room will replace the reserve book room in the basement of Bascom Hall but the Bascom Hall room will still be used as a study room by students on the Hill. The Quonset library has a 10,000-book capacity and seating places for 270 students, as compared with Bas- corn's 6.000-book stacks and chairs for only 240. The emergency build. ing is being used for experimental purposes in making plans for the University's new library, building on matters such. as ceiling height and lighting. CONSTRUCTION OF emergency class- room, laboratory, housing, and . public service. buildings is moving ahead slowly but steadily-on the University of Wiscon- sin campus, today. These are the construc- tion projects under way: Quonset huts. Seven Quonset-classrooms are now in use on theý lower campus. Two Quonset-offices are occupied on the east porch of th6 Memorial Union. Two Quonset-laboratories are nearing comple- tion near the Electrical Engineering Building. Emergency buildings. Some 140,000 square feet of surplus army barracks are beinz moved froCamp Co the campus to form 19 classrooms and labora- tories and one cafeteria. The cafeteria, to be operated by the Memorial Union, will be located at the southeast corner of Uni- versity Ave. and Breese Terrace. The other buildings will be scattered -over the cam- pus, some near Chadbourne Hall, ,others to the rear of BasCom Hall, and the rest centering around Agriculture Hall. Trailer camp. A park 'where students may set up their own trailers is being in- stalled near the East Hill Farm, There* will be room for 100 trailers. -Tr~u-a-xFie'ld., Additional facilities -a r be- ing converted to give Truax Field a top capacity of 1500 single men and 100 mar- ried couples by next fall. Badger Village. At -the University's housing project near Sauk City, 248 more apartments will be ready by Apr. 1. The project now holds 451 student veterans and their families. for 200 single men is moving ahead near Tripp and Adams Halls. The building will. be named after the late Dean Charles Sumner Slichter. Atom lab. Construction has started on a basement laboratory addition to Ster- ling Hall which will house the University's atom-smasher, now back on the campus after wartime duty at Los Alamos, N. M. FM tower. A new broadcasting tower is going up near Radio Hall which will make WHA the first University station in the country equipped to air FM programs. WARF lab. A new Wisconsin. Alumni Research Foundation laboratory is under construction near the Forest Products Laboratory. The new building will serve as a center for all WARF control work and will also house the central offices of the Foundation, now located in Bascom Hall. WARF apartments. Architects are now drawing the final plans for the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation's "garden apartments" project to be erected between the base of Picnic Point and Shorewood Hills. The 150-unit building is expected to be at least partially ready for occupancy by next September. 9.
This material may be protected by copyright law (e.g., Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright