McCormick, Bart E. (ed.) / The Wisconsin alumni magazine
Volume 28, Number 3 (Jan. 1927)
Campus notes and faculty news, p. 100
fanuary, '1927 * " 100 Campus Notes and Faculty News MEMBERS of the Wisconsin Manu- facturers' Association while in Madison for their annual convention, inspected the research laboratories of the College of Engineering. FELLOWSHIPs in German universities, modelled after those offered by Ameri- can universities, will be awarded to students of various American univer- sities, according to an announcement made by the American-German Stu- dent Exchange. They are offered in the hope of developing international friend- ship. WITH the appointment of.committee heads and assistant general chairmen for the 1928 Junior Prom, Jack Wilson, Milwaukee, prom chairman, has started machinery moving that will culminate in the most brilliant social event of the University year. The Wisconsin Play- Ers have promised to put on a play that will be on a par with their previous pleasing productions. HOCKEY rinks, some reserved for stu- dents and others for the general public, have been constructed at Camp Randall under -the direction of Coach Tom Lieb. Bleachers for the accommodation of spectators at the inteicollegiate hockey games have' been constructed adjacent to the -rink on the lower campus. EXACTLY $2;736.32 was collected at the Homecoming' game for traveling expenses of the band. The amount was enough to send the band to Chicago and to pay-off the $I,4oo borrowed from the Union Board to send the band to Ann Arbor. CONTRACT for the construction of the Service Memorial Institute went to J. P. Cullen & Son, Janesville. Surplus money from the Wisconsin Soldiers' Re- habilitation fund, amounting to Isome $6o00o, is available for the building of the structure. It will provide quarters for research and clinical work of various departments of the University Medical School and allied -state laboratories and institutes. The building will be located at the corner of Charter St., and Linden Drive. STUDENT opinion scored a victory when a petition signed by -a large number of students received favorable action by the faculty. The request urged that the Christmas holidays begin on December 18 and extend to January 4 instead of beginning December 22 and extending :to January 6. This allowed students living at a distance to get home in plenty of time before Christmas and would give many of them practically three week-ends at home. THE first weekly edition of "Dormi- tory News," the official publication of the Men's Dormitory Association, ap. peared on the campus on December i. Contributors include Paul Reuz, '30, Bill McIlrath, '30, Ken Williams, '30, Thomas Stone, '30, Jack Chamberlin, '30, Luther Brooks, '27, William Stev- en, 3'30. Plans for the new Milwaukee building of the.University.Extension division have been approved by the state chief en- gineer. State and University authorities have authorized the architects to pre- pare specifications and it is, expected that contracts will' be let in time to allow completion 'by September, i927. The Milwaukee building will be used 13 hours each week day. It will- house morning, classes for students taking the first two years of college courses and afternoon and evening. dasses for men .'and women from the homes, sehools, offices, and industries in Milwaukee and surrounding communities. 'After 32 years of continuous service, Edward H. Farrington, head of .the dairy department at the University of Wisconsin has tendered his resignation to:be effective next summer. In recog- nition of his untiring work he will be granted the honorary title of professor emeritus when he retires. Farrington's services to the dairy in- terests of Wisconsin date back to 1894 when he came to the Badger institu- tion to take charge of the dairy work. During that time he. has made many notable contributions to dairy science, including the alkaline tablet test for acidity, the milk sediment test, the test for per cent of fat in butter and the high-pressure oven test to detect water in dairy products. The winter dairy course has been developed to its pres- ent importance under his guidance. A COMPLETE list of University publi- cations, together with the number of pages and price is being compiled by W. H. Negley, Jniversity editor. PROF. PITMAN B. POTTER has an- nounced the opening of a new Political Science Laboratory in South Hall at the beginning of the second semester. Here students will be supplied the primary materials for the study of government and politics, such as municipal, state, and national constitutions, statutes and other official acts, American and foreign, together with documents for the study of international relations, such as treaties andiForeign Office lists. The arrow shows the new Milwaukee Extension Building, in-the plan for group'ng future public buildings.
This material may be protected by copyright law (e.g., Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright