University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The University of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Egstad, H. M. (ed.) / The Wisconsin alumni magazine
Volume 32, Number VII (April 1931)

Thoma, Harry
On Wisconsin,   pp. 270-271


Page 270


The Wisconsin Alumni Magazine                                           
                      April, I931
n                isconsin                              +              + 
           +
          (Continued from The March Issue)                      A   Brief
History          of the
T HE YEAR 1912 will bring fond recollections to alll
    old grads of the University. This year was destined     University from
its Inception
    to be one of the most successful in the history of the        To   t
  D          r
    school. Everywhere on the campus in every ac-
tivity success seemed to be assured.  The athletic
teams won championships galore. Ba'ketball, football,                   
       by
track and baseball were major championships won by
Badger teams. The men's Union was incorporated and                      
Harry Thoma
set up offices in the "Y."  The new feeling of inter-
nationalism reached the students with the large growth  this boost, but the
legislature stood pat and refused to
of foreign student registered. The biology building was  lower the amount
specified.
constructed at this time to alleviate the problem      With the large number
of students now on the campus
caused by crowded classrooms.                           there was a decided
need for an office of dean of men.
  Only in the legislature did the new feeling seem to  The regents, seeing
this necessity, appointed Scott H.
be lacking. Here laws were introduced to abolish fra-  Goodnight, then Professor
of German, to the position.
ternities, to curb dancing and to have the board of  They also established
a pharmaceutical experiment
regents elected by popular vote, luckily these measures  station and a student
clinic and infirmary. The latter
                                                         was located in one
of the old buildings next to the "Y,"
                                                         on the site where
the Memorial Union now stands.
                                                         Wisconsin high school
was moved from its former
                                                         quarters into the
new building on the University grounds,
                                                         while changes were
made in Camp Randall to coincide
                                                         with the layout
as it is now.
                                                           A bill was introduced
into the legislature in 1913
                                                         which would have
abolished smoking of cigarets by
                                                         members of the faculty
and student body. It was
                                                         claimed no one could
be a real scholar who was an addict
                                                         of this "dreadful
drug." Once again a bill was intro-
                                                         duced to abolish
the regents, this time to put the control
                                                         of the University
in the hands of a central board. Both
                                                         of these failed.
                                                           With the outbreak
of the World War in Europe,
              THE END OF THE DOME                       slight rumblings
were heard on the campus. Word was
                                                         sent out that the
University would remain absolutely
failed, but the dances on the campus were now placed
under faculty supervision and have remained more or
less in this condition ever since.
  The spirit of progress held over into the following
year and in the fall of 1913, we find Prof. Julius Olson
introducing for the first time a "Varsity Welcome" for
incoming freshmen. So successful was this venture that
it has been held every year since then. The large num-
ber of students on the campus caused a distinct problem
in the question of student employment afd so a student
employment bureau was established to answer this need.
A new budget system was adopted by the University to
enable it more accurately to forecast the needs for the
coming biennium and also to be able to spend the funds
received from the legislature in a more scientific manner.
The board of visitors, which had been somewhat dor-             SWEARING
IN THE S. A. T. C.
mant up to now, was reorganized to consist of 12 mem-
bers, four to be appointed by the regents, four by the  neutral. In a community
of more than 5,000 this was
governor, and four by the alumni, the form it maintains  impossible and so
we find minor arguments and out-
at present.                                             breaks arising among
students and faculty.
  One new building was started, although it was not   An important event
of 1915 was the death of Stephen
ffifished for some time later. The physics building  Tripp, who bequeathed
his entire fortune to the Uni-
(Sterling Hall) was finally started in an effort to make  versity. This was
later used to build the men's dormi-
room for the 5,000 students who were now attending the  tories and part of
the Union Building. The only
University. Student fees had been raised to $50 per  other events of importance
in this year were the erec-
semester for non-resident students. Much of the same  tion of the applied
arts building on the lower campus
type of outburst that occurred a year ago accompanied  opposite the library
and the installation of the first
Page 270


Go up to Top of Page