University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The History Collection

Page View

Information bulletin
No. 126 (January 13, 1948)

Review of 1947,   pp. [3]-[24] PDF (15.2 MB)


Page [10]


through the Evangelical Welfare
Organization.
A city-wide raid and roundup was
made in Berlin April 9-10 by Allied
troops and German police. Most of
the arrests were for possession of im-
proper identity documents.  Goods
confiscated included motor vehicles,
foodstuffs, and cigarettes.
MG General Order No. 30, as amend-
ed, established an interdivisional Le-
gislative Review Board of four mem-
bers and four alternates. All legis-
lation requested by the Laenderrat or
proposed by Military Government to
the Laenderrat was to be reviewed
by the board before submission to the
Chief of Staff, to insure compliance
with Proclamation No. 4 and letters
approving the Land constitutions.
Marking the actual beginning of the
first mass emigration  resettlement
project undertaken since the war, 422
displaced  persons  left  Kronberg,
Hesse, April 10 for Belgium to work
as coal miners. Subsequently addition-
al groups left Allendorf, Munich,
and Regensburg under the same
agreement.
Erhard Milch, former German field-
marshal, was found guilty on April 16
of charges of having been instru-
mental in the campaign of procure-
ment and deportation of foreign work-
ers as slave labor and of having
made illegal use of prisoners of war,
thus ending the first case of the Office
of the Chief of Counsel for War
Crimes at N'ujremberg. He was
sentenced to life imprisonment.
All German civil international mail
originating in the US Zone and des.'
tined for the Western Hemisphere
was routed through Bremen in ordes
to expedite delivery and to eliminate
transit fees through France.
Die Neue Zeitung, official MG new
paper for the US Zone, began carry.
ing special reports of the Moscow.
Conference of the Council of Foreign
Ministers the coverage being provided
by the correspondent of the American
magazine, Newsweek.
Courses at the Academy of Labor at
Frankfurt, which until 1933 had been
the foremost institution of labor edu-
cation in Germany, began April 12
Sponsored by the Hessian trade
unions, the school offered higher in-
struction in social sciences  with
particular emphasis on labor and
sociopolitical history, and labor legis-
lation. (See WIB Issue No. 90.)
As of April 12, the US Zone had
returned 565 locomotives, 840 passen-
ger cars, and 33,371 freight cars to
owner countries, France being the
principal beneficiary. During the same
period, unserviceable German stock
returned by other countries totaled
REVIVAL-(Left) Pilot model of Germany's first postwar luxury automobile,
Opel
Kapitaen, inspected by MG officials at Ruesselsheim plant in March. (Right)
Wiesbaden girl receives food parcel donated by employees of OMG Hesse
headquarters.                                                (PIO Hesse)
German Tobacco Ration
Shortages of coal and cigarette
paper hampered production of
German cigarettes in the US
Zone. The ration in February for
men for a six-week period was:
40 cigarettes, or 28 cigars (under
10 pfennig), or 16 cigars (between
10 and 15 pfennig), or 12 cigars
(over 15 pfennig), or 50 grams of
fine cut tobacco, or 75 grams of
raw cut tobacco. Women were
entitled to 50 percent of this
ration.
(Editor's note: Ten pfennig,
being one-tenth of one Reichs-
mark, equaled about four cents
at pre-Nazi exchange rates. Fifty
grams amounted to less than two
US ounces.)


Go up to Top of Page