University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The History Collection

Page View

Military government weekly information bulletin
No. 34 (March 1946)

Highlights of policy,   pp. [5]-12 PDF (4.8 MB)


Page 11

With, the licensing of the "Fraiakfurter
Rundshau)", 81 July 1945, German News
Service  acquired  its  first  German
customer. Origina  plans had provided
1Uiaf the District Information Control
TUnit should furnish sach licensed news-
papers with regional, zonal or national
news coverage. The Press Cotrol News
Unit, assumed this responsibilty on a
Za"l basis, although it had no immediate
means by which to disseminate the news.
Licensing terms provided that the. news.
papers were to set aside five per cent of
their income to pay for the service.
Later this was put on a circulation basis
along with the obligation to make available
to the news agency locally-gathered news
which would in due course be dissemina-
ted to other newspapers. Because of the
absence of wire communication and direct
courier service with the "Frankfurter
Rtndschau", service to the newspaper in
the first weeks was unreliable.
CONSOLIDATION OF THE AGENCY
By August 15, sufficient German writing
personnel was, assined to the News Unit
to permit establishment of a German Desk
parallel to the English Desk. Function
of the   German   Desk  initially  was
to rewrite the product of the English
file into German and to process for dis-
tribution such news as arrived from the
field in German. Establishment of this
desk coincided with the mot of G(NS
to larger quarters on the ground floor of,
the iloel Tielema.
Meanwhile, the field facilities had been
growing. The four original reporters had
organized news bureaus; correspondents
were: dispatched to Berlin and other points,
and exchange arrangements were made
with the other zones of Germany. Com-
munications were also gradually im-
proved, though this still remains 0 a di-i
ficult problem.
Up to this time, processed world news
ha4 been reaching.,Germany from Allied
Press Service in London, and upon its
splitting up into its American and Bri-
tish, components, from United States Press
Service (USPS) at Luxembourg. The time
had come to create a consolidated agen-
cy capable of servicing the newspapers
within the U.S. Zone. A teletype link
was accordingly established between Bad
Nauheim and Luxembourg and on 6 Sep-
tember the German news service emerged
as a full-fledged agency. On that date:
(a) The name DANA - Deutsche, All-
gemeine Nachrichten Agentur - was -ad-
opt~ed as the German title for the Ger-
man News Service. The name was pur-
posely chosen to avoidanylettercombina-
tion recalling DNB.
(b) DANA began receiving :a file of
world news in German from USPS. in
Luxembourg. In turn the DANA English
file was sent to Luxembourg for tran-
mission -to the OWI's Overseas News and
Features Bureau (ONAF) in New York
for retransmission to outposts throughout
the world.
(c) DANA's Hlellschreiber transmitter,
a battered, shotup German transmitter
that only a few months before had been
jamming Radio Luxembourg, went on the
air, beaming the consolidated world and
domestic news file to the offices of the
licensed as well as US-published Ger-
man press.
And on this same date DANA hired its
first three German journalists, all ex-
perienced in news work from the days
before the nazis, and released at DANA's
request from a prisoner - of - war cage.
These men today are the top of DANAs
skilled German personnel, two of them
having as their current assig   t the
covering of the Nuremburg trial
Consolidation of the files begun on 6
September was completed with consel-
dation of the Luxembourg and Nauheidm
offices on 11 November. From Lx
bourg, in addition to highly txxined perw.
sonnel, DANA received experienced Morse
operatws, valuable monitoring equipment
1i


Go up to Top of Page