University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The History Collection

Page View

Military government weekly information bulletin
No. 23 (January 1946)

Highlights of policy,   pp. 4-9 PDF (2.6 MB)

Page 8

gory; and prove that the mission is le-
gitimate. No person removed under the
current Denazification Directive is eligible
for a semi-permanent pass.
Applications for semi-permanent pas-
ses must be forwarded by the Military
Government Office of origin, with -a re-
commendation, directly to the Inter-Zonal
Facilities Section (US), Allied Control
Authority, APO 742. Each application
must contain, in letter form, the follow-
ing information in full: a 35 x 50 mm
full face photograph of bearer; the name
and residence address of the applicant;
the occupation ;of the applicant; the place
and date of birth; an identity card type
and number; a standard physical descrip-
tion; the signature and stamp or seal
of issuing authority; the places to be
visited and points at which Inter-Zonal
boundary is to be crossed; and the pur-
pose of travel. Each application must
be accompanied by two photographs and
a specimen signature of the applicant.
Passes will be issued only by the Inter-
zonal Facilities Section. Approved passes
will be forwarded by the Interzonal Fac-
ilities Section (US) directly to the Mili-
tary Government Office of origin for issue
to the applicants. The pass entitles the
bearer to purchase food, gasoline and
other essentials in accordance with local
In  addition,  Inter-Zonal travel is
authorized for civilians who are disband-
ed armed forces or paramilitary person-
nel, enroute to their permanent residence
from a prisoner of war enclosure and pos-
sessing -a discharge certificate (Control
Form D-2). Civilians possessing a valid
identity document and a Military Govern-
ment pass exemption, (MG /PS/G/6) is-
sued by a military government officer and
approved by Military Government of the
zone to which the person wishes to travel,
are also authorized inter-zonal Travel.
Such inter-zonal passes (MG/PS/G/6) can
be issued by US. Military Government Of-
ficers only when the pass has been
authorized by the Military Government
of the zone of destination.
Displaced persons and refugees travell-
ing between zones must be moving under
organized military supervision. In all
such cases, prior notification of the num-
ber, time, and point of boundary cross-
ing, has to be made to local Military
Government Offices and boundary travel
control points. Complete instructions on
the semi-permanent pass will be issued
Civilian travel across the German fron-
tier (including the German-Austrian bor-
der) is prohibited except for civilians
possessing an Allied ExpeditionaryForce
Permit. This is not Military Government
pass MG/PS/G/6. The AEF permit will
continue to be used pending the issue
of a new form of permit by the Allied
Control Authorities (Military Entry and
Military Exit Permits). In addition to
the AEF permit, 'each civilian must also
possess a national passport or its equi-
All civilians seeking an AEF permit
must fill out CI form 226. Typewritten
copies of this form must be submitted in
duplicate, accompanied by five (5) photo-
graphs not larger than 4x4 ems (three
full face and two side face). A Military
Government Officer must sign this appli-
cation form, certifying that the travel in
question is essential to the interests of
the Allied Occupation. After the local
CIC clearance, Military Government must'
forward the application directly to the
Office of Military Government, USFET.
After another security check has been
made, the application is then sent for
approval to the combined Travel Security
Board, which is composed of represen-
tatives of the British, French and U. S
Forces. A military permit to leave Ger-
many or notification of refusal is then
transmitted by the CTS Board to the

Go up to Top of Page