Wolff, R. L.; Hazard, H. W. (ed.) / The later Crusades, 1189-1311
III: The Crusades of Frederick Barbarossa and Henry VI, pp. 86-122 PDF (14.1 MB)
Ch. III THE CRUSADES OF FREDERICK I AND HENRY VI 105 army left for Adrianople on November 5, and occupied the abandoned city on November 22. Meanwhile bishop Conrad of Regensburg took Probaton and 'was quick to gather there for himself and for his companions an abundance of all necessities.' On November 24 duke Frederick of Swabia took Demotica, 'a very well fortified city. . . . All those, however, [except small children and women] who were found in the town were butchered by the sword to a number reckoned at more than one thousand five hundred. . . . Certain of our knights recognized in the loot from the city the three horses which robbers had forcefully taken from them in Bulgaria.'7 Indeed, on his roundabout way from Philippopolis to Adrianople, the duke had 'made a steady progress through Macedonia and took the city of Culos [Chelebikoy] with two others whose names are not remembered.' Boldly going on from there, he reached the sea 'and attacked the rich city called Menas [Enos]. When the citizens escaped from it in boats, he took . . . fabulous booty.' Subsequently the duke attacked from Adrianople Arcadiopolis, and 'found it as empty of warriors as of the necessities of life. Some of our men nevertheless found wine and grain there, which they carried back to their fellows.' More or less constant fighting with Byzantine forces took place until the territory to the very walls of Constantinople was occupied. Dense forest areas had to be cleared. Regular engagements with Isaac's Viach and Kuman mercenaries were carried out. 'Bohemians [better trained for war and pillage than the others] came together with some others from the army who were seeking necessary provisions for themselves, to a certain seacoast city. There they seized more than enough horses and mules, wine, and grain, and all sorts of desirable things.' From an 'almost inaccessible swamp, to which a not inconsiderable crowd of the enemy had fled with all their possessions,' they carried a notable booty. A column of the bishop of Wurzburg and of the counts of Salm, Wied, and Sponheim 'captured two cities in the direction of Vlach territory. . A third was taken by assault - more than five thousand were killed in a great massacre. One of these cities was given to the flames. . The second column, of the count of Abenberg and the advocate Frederick of Berg, always a very dangerous one, . . . turned southwards, inflicted a pitiable slaughter upon the enemy, and brought back abundant booty.' The troops of the bishops at Philippopolis were also active in the neighborhood, and they were joined by the twelve hundred men 17 Ibid., pp. 53-54.
Copyright 1969 The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System. All rights reserved. Use of this material falling outside the purview of "fair use" requires the permission of the University of Wisconsin Press. To buy the paperback book, see: http://www.wisc.edu/wisconsinpress/books/1733.htm