University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The History Collection

Page View

Hazard, H. W. (ed.) / Volume III: The fourteenth and fifteenth centuries
(1975)

IX: The Hospitallers at Rhodes, 1421-1523,   pp. 314-339 PDF (14.1 MB)


Page 318

318 A HISTORY OF THE CRUSADES III 
agreed to pay tribute. The order, which had joined in the defense of the
island, and had contributed 15,000 florins for the ransoming of the king,
renewed its truce with Egypt in 1428. 5 The remainder of Fluvian's tenure
was comparatively uneventful; Catalan-Aragonese influence increased markedly.
At his death in 1437 he bequeathed a legacy to the order for the reconstruction
of tile huge new hospital at Rhodes, which was further enlarged by his successor
John of Lastic (1437—1454) and by Peter of Aubusson (1476—1503);
it is now an archeological museum, and one of the finest monuments of the
order on the island. 
 The structure of the order at Rhodes under Lastic, in 1447, was based on
a division into seven langues. (1) Provence, whose chief (pilier) held the
post of grand preceptor or grand commander; (2) Auvergne, under the marshal;
(3) France, under the hospitaller; (4) Italy, under the admiral; (5) Spain,
under the draper; (6) En gland, under the turcopolier; and (7) Germany, under
the grand bailiff. In 1462 the langue of Spain was split into that of Aragon
and Navarre (still called Spain), under the draper, and that of Castile and
Portugal, under the chancellor; the number of langues remained at eight for
the rest of the order's stay at Rhodes. The grand master was elected for
life by the Convent of the order, and governed with the advice of his council,
including the chiefs of the seven (or eight) langues. The Hospitallers living
in Rhodes or its dependent islands formed the Convent, but many stayed in
the west at the various priories and commanderies, under the obligation of
coming to Rhodes when summoned by the Convent.6 While the order was at Rhodes,
the office of admiral became so important that it rivaled that of marshal,
the commander of the land forces.7 The Hospital's ships were repaired, and
sometimes built, in the arsenal (tersenal) at Rhodes, but more commonly were
constructed at Genoa or Mar seilles. Terms of service (caro vane) on the
ships were obligatory for the Hospitallers, while the crews were usually
recruited at Rhodes. 
 The hospital activity for the sick and for pilgrims journeying to the Holy
Sepulcher, which at its beginning in Jerusalem had been the principal mission
of the order, had dwindled to secondary impor 
 5. Bosio, Istoria, II, 146. 
 6. On this subject, see J. Delaville Le Roulx, Les Hospitaliers en Terre
Sainte et a Chypre (1100—1310) (Paris, 1904), pp. 285—434, and
R. Valentini's article, "Un Capitolo generale degli Ospitalieri... tenuto
in Vaticano nel 1446," Archivio storico di Malta, VII (1936), 
133—168. 
 7. See Rossi, Storia della marina, passim, and now A. Luttrell, "The Servitudo
Marina at Rhodes: 1306—1462," Zeitschrift fur Neograzistik [forthcoming].


Go up to Top of Page