University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The History Collection

Page View

Hazard, H. W. (ed.) / Volume IV: The art and architecture of the Crusader states
(1977)

VI: The arts in Frankish Greece and Rhodes,   pp. 208-250 PDF (15.7 MB)


Page 239

 Ch. VI RHODES   239 
18. Sketch diagram of the Boulevard of Auvergne, Rhodes. After A. Gabriel
emplacement, controlling the western approaches to the town. In it the Rhodian
boulevard is most fully developed, and there is for it no clear European
prototype. The Turkish threat and Aubusson's invention begot this new stage
in the art of fortification. Aubusson's other works were numerous. The tower
of St. Nicholas was strengthened with a form of boulevard. Along the southwest
of the walls he more than doubled the width of the ditch, building down the
middle solid earthworks, revetted in carefully cut stone, using the escarpment
of the first ditch as the inner wall; on the outer side was a parapet so
that these earthworks could be manned (fig. 15). It is these works that today
give such an appearance of solidity to Rhodes's defenses, while at the same
time masking the view of the original curtain and detracting from its sense
of height. 
 Aubusson's successors continued his work. Emery of Amboise (1503-1512) is
particularly associated with the Amboise gate, at the northwest corner of
the town, an entry, guarded by squat, rounded towers, into a broad earthwork
dividing the ditch, and providing the main access to the palace area. Fabrizio
del Carretto (1513-1521) was continuously active in building, particularly
in improving the 


Go up to Top of Page