Hazard, H. W. (ed.) / Volume IV: The art and architecture of the Crusader states
V: The arts in Cyprus, pp. 165-207 PDF (8.9 MB)
178 A HISTORY OF THE CRUSADES IV brothers Lachas, the wealthiest merchants of Famagusta, of whose prodigality and ostentation Machaeras tells many anecdotes. 11 Whatever its origin, it is still mainly standing, composed of a nave and two aisles, ending in a triple apse of three semicircles set in a square base. As in the cathedral, which has clearly influenced the whole design, the vaulting of the nave is carried on round pillars with plain capitals. Originally neither façade nor side walls had any buttresses, a custom probably borrowed from the churches of Acre, but the vault of the nave is supported by flying buttresses above the flat terraces of the aisles as in the cathedrals of St. Nicholas and Hagia Sophia. Such a structure depends on sound building and considerable thickness of wall. The church has both, but they have not saved it from danger, and some time before the Turkish conquest, probably after the earthquake of 1 546 or that of 1 568, the south aisle wall had to be supported by a row of five flying buttresses, which somewhat distort the present appearance of the building. The whole effect is severe; it lacks good sculpture and must have depended much on the richness of its interior decoration; only on the main north door, similar in type to that of St. George of the Latins, is there work of good quality. Carved in inset white marble, the capitals of the two door columns on either side have foliage with crotchets of a twelfth-century design; the marble jambs have a frieze of oak and vine leaves with one large palm front and as inner consoles two angels, one censing, the other holding the sacred vessels under a veil; it is expert decorative work in the best French manner of a style earlier than the church. Marble carving was not a native craft, and this must surely be some reused material, possibly from some unfinished undertaking at the time of Louis TX's passage (pl. LVIb). The plan of St. Peter and St. Paul, itself probably taken from that of St. Andrew at Acre, was used almost contemporaneously in the Greek Orthodox cathedral of St. George. Built beside and adjoining the small church of St. Epiphanius, it marked a resurgence of Greek feeling and in scale is an attempt to rival the Latin cathedral. It differed from St. Peter and St. Paul in the height of its central apse; whereas the earlier church had a square end to the nave, rising above the semicircular apse, in St. George the apsidal semicircle continues 11. See Enlart, Les Monuments des croisés dans le royaume de Jerusalem, II, 17, note 5; Th. Mogabgab, "Excavations and Researches in Famagusta, 1937-1939," Report of the Department of Antiquities, Cyprus, 1937-1 939 (Nicosia, 1951), p. 188; and L. Machaeras ("Machairas"), Recital Concerning the Sweet Land of Cyprus, Entitled ' Chronicle', ed. and tr. R. M. Dawkins (2 vols., Oxford, 1932), I, 83.
Copyright 1977 The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System. All rights reserved. Use of this material falling outside the purview of "fair use" requires the permission of the University of Wisconsin Press. To buy the hardcover book, see: http://www/wisc/edu/wisconsinpress/books/1735.htm