University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The History Collection

Page View

Information bulletin
(June 1951)

Ware, George W.
Porcelain, old and new,   pp. 29-35 PDF (3.9 MB)


Page 32


is best known, but his productions do
not compare with those of Meissen's
Kaendler, Nymphenburg's Bustelli and
Hoechst's Melchior. Fuerstenberg is
primarily known for its vases and
useful porcelain produced in rococo
or neo-classical fashion between 1760
and 1790. The factory passed into
private ownership in 1876 and is still
operating with a favorable reputation.
W ITH THE SUPPORT of Prussian
W King Frederick the Great, a
merchant named Wegely operated a
porcelain factory in Berlin from 1751
to 1757. His efforts failed and another
factory was opened by Gotzkowsky
in 1761. Frederick's chief ambition was
to make Berlin porcelain equal to or
better than Meissen, so when Gotz-      Meissen. Cup
kowsky ran into financial difficulties,  1735
Frederick bought the factory in 1763
and continued it as a royal enterprise. It is now known
as Berlin or KPM  (Koenigliche Porzellan Manufaktur).
Cabinet with miscellaneous collection
of German porcelain.
INFORMATION BULLETIN
and saucer, with Oriental figures, after J. G. Hoeroldt. About
(Courtesy, the author)
Although Frederick was successful in his wars and
was able to force Meissen and other artists to work in
his factory, he never achieved superlative quality. The
figurines modeled by the brothers Friedrich E. and Wil-
helm C. Meyer (1761-1785) are interesting and attractive,
but Berlin's greatest fame is associated with its useful
wares, especially dinner services. The factory has oper-
ated continuously to date, but since the Berlin plant was
practically destroyed during World War II, its principal
production is now carried on at Selb in Bavaria.
The Frankenthal factory was established in the town
of that name near Mannheim in 1755 by Paul A. Han-
nong with the permission of Elector Karl Theodor, who
bought the enterprise in 1762. The factory, which closed
in 1799 after operating for only 44 years, is best known
for its figurines and groups modeled by Johann W. Lanz
(1755-1761), Johann F. Lueck (1758-1764) and Karl G.
Lueck (1760-1775). Most of its pieces, both figurines and
useful wares, were excellently modeled and decorated
in rococo style. Its best items are eagerly sought by
collectors.
Ludwigsburg, the last of the eight major German fac-
tories, was founded in 1750 in Ludwigsburg, 12 miles
north of Stuttgart, by Karl Eugen, the luxury-loving Duke
of Wuerttemberg. It had no real excuse for existence
except to increase the magnificence of the duke. Al-
though its production does not compare with that of
Meissen, Nymphenburg, Frankenthal or Hoechst, miscel-
laneous items designed by Gottlieb Riedel (1759-1779)
and the figures of Johann C. W. Beyer (1760-1767) are
extremely interesting and attractive. Quality and prod-
uction declined after the death of the duke in 1793 and
the factory closed in 1824.
As the factories of Hoechst and Frankenthal operated for
only a short time and closed before 1800, and Ludwigs-
burg soon thereafter, original items from these establish-
ments are necessarily antiques. However, old models of
these factories as well as Vienna and some of the enter-
JUNE 1951
32


Go up to Top of Page