University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The History Collection

Page View

Military government weekly information bulletin
Number 118 (November 1947)

Karlsruhe Harbor,   pp. 5-[6] PDF (1.3 MB)


Nazi cache rediscovered,   p. [6] PDF (629.5 KB)


Page [6]


Munich on Shortwave
Radio Munich, operated by the Radio
Control Branch, Information Control
Division, OMG for Bavaria, started
transmitting its entire 17 hours daily
programs over shortwave on 4 No-
vember. The program was sent on a
frequency of 6190 kilocycles, a wave
lenghth of 48,47 meters.
Preliminary programs have revealed
that the new shortwave broadcasts
enable thousands of additional listen-
ers all over Germany to receive
Radio Munich programs consisting of
news, commentaries, MG broadcasts,
special features, entertainment, and a
school of the air.
(Continued from Paze 5)
Karlsruhe Harbor
cargo which was liable for customs
duty.
With installations covering approxi-
mately 750 acres and 250 acres of
navigable water surface, the port
could handle 510,000 tons of cargo.
There was storage space for 500,000
tons on wharf embankmenets, and
warehouses with a 10,000 ton capacity.
The city is working steadily not
only toward restoration of this prewar
capacity, but nourishes the hope of
surpassing it. The harbor directors,
who are appointed by the city council,
consider that for the port's complete
from the port's French and Swiss
necessary:
(1) Raising of the remaining sunken
ships and barges at an early date.
(2) A special waterway administra-
tion appointed to iron out the tech-
nical shipping problems which arise
from the port's Frenech and Swiss
border position.
(3) Procurement of building mate-
rials for the reconstruction of loading
and storage installations.
(4) Immediate construction of a
warehouse for railway goods so that
the turnover in rail shipments can
again be handled.
(5) Tariff conditions suitable for
present requirements.
(6) Sufficient labor to handle cargo.
A GIANT CRANE in operation at the
Karlsruhe port.
(Photo by Capt. C. R. Harlin)
RECORDS, containing complete per-
sonal and official data on "at least"
10,000 Nazi Party members of the
Frankfurt area, have come to light
again-rediscovered among dust-co-
vered Nazi newspapers, propaganda
booklets, letters, and insignia in an
air raid shelter behind Frankfurt's
main police station. Of the listed party
members, it has been estimated that
3,000 will khave to go before the
Frankfurt Spruchkammer for trial or
retrial if they have already been de-
clared "not chargeable."
Unearthed after a three-month se-
arch of air raid shelters, storerooms,
and the ruins of official Nazi build-
ings, the records are in possession of
the  MG    Special  (Denazification)
Branch in Frankfurt. The work of eva-
lutation-involving sorting, examining,
and classifying of each stack of ma-
terial, paper by paper-is expected to
require at least four months.
The records, as far as can be de-
termined, pertain to activities that
took place in Stadtkreis Frankfurt; all
the names are of persons who lived
in Frankfurt or vicinity.
Organizational files include per-
sonnel lists and dues records of the
local Nazi party branch, SS, SA,
NSKK, Gau, Ort, and Blockleiter
groups, among others. Detailed party,
SS, and SA reports describe anti-
Jewish and anti-foreign activities,
specifying names, dates and places.
Complete individual files on SA
officers and other high-ranking Frank-
furt Nazis contain lists of medals and
decorations; photographs; letters of
application for entry, in which the in-
dividual stated his reasons for want-
ing to join the particular organiza-
tion, why he agreed with its views;
dates of promotions; requests for fur-
loughs, and statements testifying to
the applicant's Aryan ancestry.
The mass of records, files, booklets,
and papers had been uncovered-and
then misplaced-after the war, ac-
cording to local MG officials spokes-
men. A card index had been compiled
in August 1945 on the SS files, in-
dicating the existence of these do-
cuments.
The records were originally stored
in the Frankfurt Gauhaus. When the
house was burned by the Nazis near
the end of the war, the records sur-
vived, and were later moved into the
bunker behind the police station.
Clue to the whereabouts of the cache
of papers was furnished by    city
police.
Estimates that the work of evalua-
tion would take at least four months
were based on the daily volume of
work performed by the 61 persons
already employed full-time by the
Special Branch.
A few boxes of letters found in the
mass of material covered many
subjects. One, from a man aged 75
at the time he wrote it in 1941, pro-
tested that he was receiving milk in
the same type of can used to dispense
milk to Jews.
Nazi Cache Rediscovered


Go up to Top of Page