Hazard, H. W. (ed.) / The art and architecture of the crusader states
IV: Military Architecture in the Crusader States in Palestine and Syria, pp. 140-164 PDF (8.9 MB)
Ch. IV MILITARY ARCHITECTURE 163 erection (pl. LIVa). But with them the rebuilding ceased and the remaining defense works are undistinguished. From Antioch the Syrian Gates led through the Amanus range to the coastal plain, the main route to Cilicia. On one of the approaches to the pass the castle of Baghrãs, the Gaston of the crusaders, was held in turn by the Templars, the Armenians, and the Moslems, and each occupation has left its mark. Farther north a group of castles controlled the fertile eastern Cilician plain, the center of the kingdom of Little Armenia. 36 These castles are generally placed on rocky hills, and their walls follow the line of the natural escarpment. Rounded towers, in small, bossed masonry, project from the walls; and the bent entrance is generally employed, sometimes with a complicated ramp. Byzantine and crusading methods mingle with local practice. At the castle of Seleucia above the Calycadnus, the Hospitallers, after receiving it from Leon II in 1210, used fine ashlar masonry and vaulting, which are worthy of the standards of their contemporary building at Krak (pl. LIVb). At the opposite eastern end of the kingdom, another Hospitaller holding at Tall Uamdun (Toprakkale) has horseshoe towers rising as at Krak from a talus faced with masonry. The Armenian castles have not yet been fully studied. Some of them, such as Ilan-kale, the castle of the serpents, have no documented history, though Ilan-kale with its great flanking towers is still a most impressive ruin. At Sis, the fortress protecting the Armenian capital sprawls unevenly along a narrow ridge, and at places the natural rock provides the defense works, or only a thin breastwork gives some additional cover. At Anazarba the castle stands on a precipitous limestone crag rising from the plain. It includes stretches of Byzantine wall, some Arab rebuilding after its 36. V. Langlois, Voyage dans la Cilicie et dans les montagnes du Taurus, exécuté pendant les années 1852-1853. . . (Paris, 1861); L. M. Alishan, Sissouan, ou l'Arméno-Cilicie: Description géographique et historique avec carte et illustrations (Venice, 1899); Fedden and Thomson, Crusader Castles (1957); J. Gottwald, articles in Byzantinische Zeitschrift: "Die Kirche und das Schloss Paperon in Kilikisch-Armenien," XXXVI (1936), 86-100; "Die Burg Ti! im süddstlichen Kilikien," XL (1940), 89-104; and "Burgen und Kirchen im mitt!eren Kilikien," XLI (1941), 82-103; P. Deschamps, "Le Château de Servantikar en Cilicie: Le Ddfilé de Marris et la frontière du comtd d'Edesse," Syria, XVIII (1937), 379-388; E. H. King, "A Journey through Armenian Cilicia," Journal of the Royal Central Asian Society, XXIV (1937), 234-246; M. Gough, "Anazarbus," Anatolian Studies, II (1952), 119-125; J. G. Dunbar and W. W. M. Boa!, "The Castle of Vagha," Anatolian Studies, XIV (1964), 175-184; E. Herzfe!d and S. Guyer,MonumentaAsiaeMinorisantiqua; vol. II, Meriamlik und Korykos: Zwei christliche Ruinenstätten des rauhen Kilikiens (Manchester, 1930); and G. R. Youngs, "Three Cilician Castles," Anatolian Studies, XV (1965), 113-134.
Copyright 1977 The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System. All rights reserved. Use of this material falling outside the purview of "fair use" requires the permission of the University of Wisconsin Press. To buy the hardcover book, see: http://www/wisc/edu/wisconsinpress/books/1735.htm