Hazard, H. W. (ed.) / The art and architecture of the crusader states
IV: Military Architecture in the Crusader States in Palestine and Syria, pp. 140-164 PDF (8.9 MB)
8. Plan of Château Pèlerin 158 A HISTORY OF THE CRUSADES were right-angle entrances and which rose to a height of some fifty-eight feet. Wall and towers were supplied with double rows of loop-holes, which in the case of the wall were manned from an inner gallery and from an open parapet. Beyond lay the east bailey with towering above it the two great towers, 110 feet high, linked by a wall of massive masonry, possibly coming from the ancient ruins which the scholasticus Oliver tells us were found, along with a hoard of gold, when the foundations were dug.24 Excavations have shown that this was the site of a Phoenician settlement, and these great blocks, larger than any the crusaders used elsewhere (a single one, Oliver says, could hardly be pulled by two oxen) may have come from their walls. This triple line of defense was arranged concentri cally, that is, the inner wall commanded the outer and the two great towers were placed opposite the spaces between the three towers of 24. Oliver Scholasticus, Historia Damiatina (ed. H. Hoogeweg as Die Schriften des kölner Domscholasters, späteren Bischofs von Paderborn und Kardinal-Bischofs von S. Sabina, Oliverus; Bibliothek des litterarischen Vereins in Stuttgart, CCII; Tübingen, 1894), 169-172.
Copyright 1977 The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System. All rights reserved. Use of this material falling outside the purview of "fair use" requires the permission of the University of Wisconsin Press. To buy the hardcover book, see: http://www/wisc/edu/wisconsinpress/books/1735.htm