University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The History Collection

Page View

United States. Office of Indian Affairs / Annual report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, for the year 1879

Reports of agents in Washington territory,   pp. 140-159 PDF (11.7 MB)

Page 158

was received from the honorable Commissioner to send Moses and party to Washing-
ton for a council. 
This order I communicated to the authorities at Yakama. They agreed they
not disturb or arrest him. I released him to return to his people and make
ments to go to Washington, with a promise that he would return within four
or sooner if needed, to start to Washington. I sent for him after he had
been away 
ten days. He gave the messenger a promise to be at the ferry on the Yakama
River in 
four days; he wished me to make arrangements for him to cross. I took the
tunity to meet him at the appointed time and place, to keep him from being
by the whites. I arrived at the ferry (30 miles from here) before Moses and
his party, 
and found the sberiff with a posse of men that were guarding every crossing
on the 
river for "20 miles or more, with a sworn determination to take him,
dead or alive. I 
returned to Yakama City and remained until next morning, when Moses was brought
to Yakama by the sheriff; court was called; Moses was arraigned ; the prosecution
notice they were not ready for trial; the court adjourned twenty-four hours.
At the 
second calling of the court the prosecution claimed not ready, and asked
an adjoutn- 
ment of eight days. It was clear to my mind that the plan was to prevent
him from 
going to Washington as ordered, and to confine him in jail until the October
court. I 
proposed to waive the examination and enter bail for his appearance at said
which was accepted. I brought him to the agency and in a few days started
him for 
Washington. The vexed question is now settled. 
came to this agency on the 2d of February, 1879, numbering 543. They were
by the military, Captain Winters in command of two companies of cavalry from
Harney, at an expense (as the captain informed me) of about $50,000. They
came to 
this agency without my having any official notice of their coming, and of
course no ar- 
rangements for giving them rations. I received them and receipted for them
on the 
I0th of February, and moved them from the lower part of the reservation to
six miles of the station. We built a house 150 feet long for them before
they were re- 
ceived, when they were sheltered from the storm, which began the night after
were moved; the storm continued a week; snow was three feet deep. They were
in a 
very destitute condition. Money was received from the department, articles
needed were purchased and issued, which has made them comfortable. When the
weather became warm I said to the able-bodied men they must go to work. They
said that was not what they came for. They refused at first to work. I said
to them 
kindly, but firmly, if they did not work I should not feed them. I ordered
them to 
meet me next morning; they came, were furnished with tools and put to grubbing.
They cleared more than 100 acres of land and helped to make two miles of
post and 
board fence. They had no teams or tools. With the help of the department
they doing what they could, the land cleared was put into wheat, corn, potatoes,
other vegetables. The wheat has yieldta a harvest of 926 bushels; the vegetables
are not gathered. They cut 75 cords of wood for the agency, and manifest
a willing- 
ness to do what they are told, and will; if they are encouraged and kept
at work, do 
much toward supporting themselves. 
Sixty of their children were gathered into a day-school, seven miles from
the station 
on the 1st of April, and continued until the 30th of June. George Waters
and Sarah 
Winnemucca were employed in teaching them ; their attendance was uniform,
they improved rapidly. Our boarding-school at the station, the latter part
of the 
year, did not do as well as was desired. A change for the better is confidently
pected when the schools reopen. 
The grist-mill was incapable of doing the work. We have put on un addition,
chased a new run of stones, a smatter, with belting and the needed fixtures.
The mill 
is now in excellent order, having two run of stones. The whole expense does
not ex- 
ceed $800. The water saw-mill is out of repair and needs a thorough overhauling.
The steam saw-mill, plainer, shingle-machine, and turning lathe are in good
The agency buildings are all in good repair. 
The stock of the agency is in fine condition, constantly increasing in numbers

Go up to Top of Page