University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The History Collection

Page View

United States. Office of Indian Affairs / Annual report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, for the year 1905, Part I
([1905])

Reports concerning Indians in Oklahoma,   pp. 291-323 PDF (15.9 MB)


Page 310

310     REPORTS OF THE DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR. 
Nature of offense.           Convc" Acquitted. Dismissed. Pending. 
tions. 
Murder---------------------------------------------------------------------.3
Assault with intent to kill----------------1 
Assault with intent to do bodily harm ------ -  1                       
I 
Larceny---------------------------------------------------------------------1
Introducing and disposing.........-------------.        2       10      
6 
Rape--------------------------------- --------------------------- 
Carrying revolver -----------------.------             ----------------------
Bigamy-------------------------------------...-- - - - - - - - --   -- -
A d u lte'ry  ---------------------------------------.2.----..--- 
A~lte~y------------------------         ------         2 
Total.. . . . .  ..  ..  ..  ..---------------------------------  5  2  14
 11 
Stolen and estray stock (horses and cattle) recovered, 32 head; horses, reported
by In- 
dians as stolen and not recovered, 4 head. 
Churches.--There are four churches at Pawhuska, viz, Methodist Episcopal,
Episcopal, Baptist, and Catholic, with the Presbyterian organizing. Religious
services are held regularly. Services are held at other points on the reservation,
and churches are being arranged for. The Missionary Baptists have five mis-
sionaries in this field, with a strong organization at Pawhuska, supported
by the 
Home Missionary Society of New York, the Home Board of the Southern Bap-
tist Convention, and the Oklahoma Baptist State Convention. Rev. C. W. Bur-
nett is in charge of the work among the full-blood Indians. 
Schools.-Only one agency boarding school is maintained at the expense of
the 
Osage Indians on this reservation. There are two boarding schools maintained
by the Catholic bureau, viz, St. Louis School, for girls, located at Pawhuska,
and St. John School, for boys, located on Hominy Creek, about 15 miles west
of 
the agency. During the fiscal year 1905 the Catholic bureau had contracts
for 
schooling 140 Osage Indian pupils, 75 at the St. Louis School and 65 'at
the St. 
John School. 
The work at the Osage Agency Boarding School was quite satisfactory 
throughout the year, a change in superintendents during November, 1904, having
the usual bad effect such changes have on Indian schools during the time
school 
is in session. The total enrollment was 159; average attendance for the year,
137 ; 
capacity of school, 180. The school work in general improved under Superin-
tendent Preston, and considerable credit is due him for his energy and manage-
ment. The school plant was in a run-down condition, the general repairs had
not been kept up, and much improvement was necessary. The life of the school
in general was of the "drifting " order. The annual estimate for
the main- 
tenance of this school was inadequate, considering the number of pupils in
attendance, and many necessary articles were not on hand at the beginning
of 
the term. 
During the early part of last winter natural gas was piped to the school
and 
has since been used for fuel and light. Since that time it has also been
used exclusively in the heating plant, ice plant, lighting plant, and cooking
ranges, and has given entire satisfaction, besides saving the Government
at 
least $4,000 per annum on the light and fuel bill. New steam and water pipes
were laid between the power house and boys' building. The ice plant was com-
pletely overhauled and put in good condition. During last summer $1,115.08
were derived from the sale of ice and indications are that during the coming
season this amount will be doubled. 
Such parts of the walls and woodwork in the girls' building as could be done
while school was in session were repaired and painted. At the present time
the necessary repairs, such as plastering, painting, calcimining, and paper-
ing, in the interior of all of the school buildings are being made. An orna-
mental fence was built along the front of the school grounds, adding much
to 
the general appearance. 
The school had an undesirable herd of cattle. Forty-eight head were sold
and the remaining eight will be sold as soon as a good herd, consisting of
fourteen good dairy cows and one thoroughbred bull, can be purchased. 
The life of the school has much improved. Employees and pupils seem to 
have more interest in their work. A number of cases of sick pupils were ably
cared for at the hospital. The general health of the pupils was good. The
garden has furnished an abundance of vegetables. The farm     crops were
in 
most cases excellent. 


Go up to Top of Page