University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The History Collection

Page View

United States. Office of Indian Affairs / Annual report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, for the year 1904, Part I

Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs,   pp. 1-128 PDF (50.3 MB)

Page 125

Beginning in the mid-channel of Big Wind River at a point where said stream
crosses the western boundary of the reservation; thence in a southeasterly
following the mid-channel of the Big Wind River to its junction with the
Little Wind 
River or Big Popo Agi, near the northeast corner of township 1 south, range
4 east; 
thence up the mid-channel of Big Popo Agie River in a southwesterly direction
to the 
mouth of the north fork of said Big Popo Agie River; thence up the mid-channel
the north fork of Big Popo Agie River to its intersection with the south
boundary of 
the reservation; thence in a westerly direction to the southwest corner of
the reser- 
vation; thence to the place of beginning. 
This agreement has not yet been ratified by Congress. 
Superintendent of irrigation, Walter B. Hill, has been instructed 
to survey and plan a system of irrigation south of Big Wind River 
sufficient to irrigate the lands already allotted there and the allotments
to be made, including the extension of ditches already constructed, and 
to take such steps as may be necessary to secure the Indians in their 
water rights under the laws of the State of Wyoming. Such action 
was recommended to the Department October 14, 1903, and again 
July 7, 1904. 
In October, 1903, passes were issued by the United States Indian 
agent at the Pine Ridge Agency to two small parties of Indians, one 
headed by Charles Smith and the other by William Brown, both intel- 
ligent, law abiding, well disposed men. The two parties of men, 
women, and a few children-aggregating about thirty-five persons- 
left the Pine Ridge Reservation for the purpose of visiting the Black 
Hills and vicinity to gather berries, roots, and herbs. Both companies 
drifted into Wyoming, and, meeting by accident, agreed to return to 
the reservation together. 
On the afternoon of October 30, while they were camped together 
on Dry Cheyenne Creek in Converse County, Wyo., Sheriff Miller, of 
Weston County, with a posse of seven men, visited the camp Of the 
Indians and told Charles Smith that he had a warrant for their arrest 
for violation of the game laws of Wyoming, and that the Indians 
must go with him to Newcastle, in that State. Smith denied that 
either he or any of his party had violated the law and refused to go. 
The sheriff then talked to William Brown, who, while likewise dis- 
claiming any infraction of law, said that he and his party were willing 
to go, if Smith would. The matter was discussed in a quiet and 
friendly way and the sheriff's party remained and ate supper, which 
Mrs. Brown prepared for them. After supper the Indians broke camp 
and started on their way home. The sheriff and posse accompanied 
them to the point where the road to Newcastle branched off, and there 
made another effort to induce the Indians to go with them. The effort, 

Go up to Top of Page