University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The History Collection

Page View

Information bulletin
(June 1951)

In and around Germany,   pp. 68-[69] PDF (1.3 MB)


Page 68


In and Around Germany
Customs Unit Patrols Zonal Border
The duties of EUCOM's 7751 MP Customs Unit have
been extended to the US-Soviet interzonal border and
Western Berlin. Previously the organization serviced
only the American zone's international borders.
The new step was taken to achieve a uniformity of
customs control among the western zones of Germany. It
was emphasized that Customs Unit personnel have the
mission of assisting the West German Government's and
West Berlin's customs control. Their main function is to
observe and report border customs activities. Since
April 15, 1949, the Customs Unit has been posted along
the US Zone's international boundaries, at the five inter-
national airfields in the US Zone, and the ports of Bremen
and Bremerhaven. Approximately 50 officers and men of
the Customs Unit now are on duty along the 228 mile
US Zone-Soviet Zone border and at the checkpoints in the
US Sector of Berlin.
US High Commissioner John J. McCloy requested
General Thomas T. Handy, EUCOM commander-in-chief,
who concurred, that Customs Unit personnel be placed
on the US Zone-Soviet Zone border at the earliest possible
date. The action in Berlin followed soon after, at the re-
quest of US Commander in Berlin Maj. Gen. Lemuel
Mathewson.
The duties of the Customs Unit on the interzonal and
sector boundaries will be the same as those on the inter-
national border, namely, to give assistance to the German
government customs control, to guard against shipments
of illegal goods, and to report on matters relative to
deficiencies of customs enforcement and to documentation
and identity of shipments.
New US resident officers are welcomed to duty in Hesse
by State Commissioner James R. Newman upon arrival
from Washington, where they underwent special training.
L.-r., James D. McCalmont, Chicago, Ill.; Kennedy B.
Schmertz, Pittsburgh, Pa.; Dr. Newman; Alan H. Dodds,
Washington, D. C.; Robert B. Warner, Homer, Mich.;
David Rosendale, OLCH Field Operations Division chief,
and Arvin M. Kramish, Denver, Colo.  (PRB OLCII photo)
INFORMATION BULLETIN
The four winners of the Freedoms Foundation's essay
contest on the "Free Way of Life" board plane at Rhine-
Main Airport near Frankfurt for their prize -a 60 day
tour of the United States. Thousands of youth in West
Germany along with others from Berlin and East Germany
(the latter receiving special prizes) participated in the
contest. L.-r., Christa Wilmanns, 16, of Wehrda, Hesse;
Brigitte Spiegelhauer, 16, Coburg, Bavaria; Juergen Moeh-
ler, 18, Herborn, Hesse, and Helmut Weber, 17, Roth,
Bavaria.                     (Photo by Jacoby, PRD IIICOG)
Former Hesse President Goes to US
Christian Stock, former minister-president of Hesse,
has left for the United States where he will study political
and legislative work for a period of three months under
the HICOG Exchanges program.
The former executive chief of Hesse is a Social Demo-
cratic Party deputy in the Hessian legislature. He was
elected to the post of minister-president late in 1946 and
remained in the position until January 1951.
Aluminum Plant to Be Retained
The aluminum producing equipment of the Vereinigte
Aluminium Werke A. G. in Toeging, Bavaria, scheduled
for delivery to the United States as reparations, will be
retained in Germany following a decision of the Allied
High Commission.
Under the recently revised agreement on industrial
controls, there are no longer any restrictions on the
production and capacity of the aluminum industry in the
Federal Republic.
The Toeging plant comprises three production units,
one of which, Hall III, had been scheduled for disman-
tling under a tripartite agreement of April 1949. Actual
dismantling operations were started early in 1950 and
were completed with the exception of certain electrical
equipment. The planned removals would have resulted
in a reduction in potential output from 40,000 to 29,000
metric tons.
Hall III, which has not been in operation since the end
of the war due to the insufficient supply of electrical
power, had an original estimated inventory value of
DM 1,500,000 (more than $350,000).
ECA Warns Berlin Exporters
A serious warning that ECA aid may be withheld from
companies engaged in illicit trade with Communist areas
JUNE 1951
68


Go up to Top of Page