Berlin, Richard E., 1894- / Diary of a flight to occupied Germany, July 20 to August 27, 1945.
Newspapers and radio, pp. 68-69 PDF (425.6 KB)
predicted, the Russians will say, "You see-we gave you your Minister, but he could accomplish nothing." Authorities say conditions in Poland are ghastly. Newspapers and Radio We visited Bad Homburg, a suburb of Frankfurt, the location for the American control headquarters of press, radio, and motion pictures. Here we gathered this information: The Americans are issuing licenses to German newspapers- recently one has started in Frankfurt. It is managed by a 7-man Board: 2 Socialists, 1 Catholic, 1 neutral, 2 Social Democrats, 1 Communist. These Germans run the paper as a partnership, retaining 80% of the gross receipts for operations. The other 20% of the receipts is placed in a blocked fund for possible re-distribution to the former owner of the paper for the use of his plant, etc. In my opinion it is not workable. That 7 oddly- varied people can run a newspaper seems dubious, yet this is the plan for re-establishing German newspapers. All radios were closed, as they were controlled outright by the Nazis. Now they are being operated by the Americans who believe the time for turning them over to the Germans is a long way off. The radio was and is handled in 3 phases: 1) Closed all radios; 2) Replaced German radios by American operation and propa- ganda; 3) Some time in the far-distant future, they propose licensing the Germans to operate their own stations. Currently on the radio is crop information in German, innocuous politics, etc. (I am suspicious that a little communistic material slips in here and there.) The newspapers also went through 3 similar phases: 1) Closing of all newspapers. 68
This material may be protected by copyright law (e.g., Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright