University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Ecology and Natural Resources Collection

Page View

Bureau of Mines / Minerals yearbook: Metals and minerals 1978-79
Year 1978-79, Volume 1 (1978-1979)

Moore, Christine M.
Rare-earth minerals and metals,   pp. 735-742 PDF (915.0 KB)


Page 740

740 
MINERALS YEARBOOK, 1978-79 
WORLD REVIEW 
 World production of monazite increased for the fourth consecutive year,
due to rapid expansion of Australian production. Bastnäsite production
also increased in 1979. Those countries with processing capability for various
rare-earth products included Austria, France, the Federal Republic of Germany,
Japan, the U.S.S.R., and the United Kingdom. 
 Australia.—According to the Mineral Sands Producers' Association
Ltd.,
monazite production in short tons was as follows: 
State 
1977 
1978 
1979 
New South Wales        
327 
372 
1,861 
Queensland           Western Australia       
Total             
683 
8,636 
- — 16,147 
— — 16,162 
9,646 
16,519 
18,023 
 Associated Minerals Consolidated Ltd. and Consolidated Rutile Ltd., agreed
to jointly mine and process zircon, rutile, monazite, and other heavy minerals
located along a common lease boundry on North Stradbroke Island, Queensland.
Jennings Industries announced plans to sell its leases on monazite-bearing
lands near Eneabba to Consolidated Goldfields of Australia. The company's
processing facilities and equipment at Eneabba and Geraldton were to be sold
to Associated Minerals Consolidated, a subsidiary of Consolidated Goldfields
of Australia 
 Western Titanium Ltd., a subsidiary of Associated Minerals Consolidated,
announced plans to increase rutile production at its Eneabba heavy minerals
separation facility. The company produced monazite concentrates at the plant.
 El. du Pont de Nemours & Co., Inc., became the major shareholder
in
Allied Eneabba Pty. Ltd., a major monazite producer, by increasing its equity
to 58.5%. The remaining 41.5% equity was held by public shareholders. 
 Brazil.—A group of 10 banks headed by Chemical Bank of New York
loaned
Government-owned Mineraçao Vale do Paranaiba $30 million to investigate
a carbonatite complex at Tapira, Minas Gerais. The company's initial plans
were to develop processing facilities for phosphate. Associated minerals
that may be processed include anatase, columbium, and rare-earth ores. 
 Canada.—Denison Mines Ltd. ceased production of yttrium concentrates
from uranium tailings at its Elliot Lake, Ontario, facilities due to high
production costs. The facilities were scheduled to remain on a 
care-and-maintenance basis. 
 A summary of rare-earth occurrences in Canada was issued.3 
 China, Mainland.—Inoue Japax Research Inc. concluded an agreement
with the Government of China to undertake joint research and development
of rare-earth technology, including ore analysis, ore dressing, and product
applicaton. 
 Two rare-earth treatment facilities were reportedly under consideration
by the Government of China—one at Baotou to produce 5,500 tons
per
year of concentrate and a second, at an unannounced location, to produce
1,100 tons per year. 
 Mitsui Metal Mining Co. and Mitsui & Co. sent teams to China to
investigate
a possible joint project involving development of rareearth processing based
on the Poyun iron ore deposit. 
 India.—The Orissa Sand Complex Project, a venture of Indian Rare
Earths
Ltd., was established to begin work on mineral sands separation facilities
near Chatrapur, Orissa. The complex would produce monazite, synthetic rutile,
zircon, and sillimanite. 
 Japan.—Sumitimo Metal Mining began production of samarium-cobalt
magnet
alloys at Kunitimo, Hokkaido. The company plans to double the capacity of
the 44-shortton-per-year plant by 1980. Production of samarium-cobalt magnets
in Japan was 20 short tons in 1976, 45 tons in 1977, and was estimated at
66 tons in 1978. 
 Kenya.—The Government of Kenya approved the assignment of the
right
to develop a rare-earth deposit at Mrima Hill to Rhône-Poulenc
Inc.
 Malaysia.—A Japanese group reportedly began studies of rare-earth
resources in Malaysia. 
 Norway.—Mitsubishi Chemical Industries Ltd. and Megon A/S formed
MCIMegon
to process Malaysian xenotime concentrate to high-purity yttrium oxide at
a facility in Kjeller, Norway. 
 Sri Lanka.—In 1978, Ceylon Mineral Sands Corporation reportedly
began
stockpiling approximately 300 long tons per year of crude monazite that resulted
from processing heavy mineral sands for ilmenite, rutile, and zircon. 
 United Kingdom.—Steetly Chemicals Ltd. began production of various
rare-earth oxides, chlorides, and hydrates from imported monazite at Widnes.
The facility reportedly has a rated capacity of 1,650 tons per year REO.


Go up to Top of Page