Bureau of Mines / Minerals yearbook: Metals, minerals, and fuels 1972
Year 1972, Volume 1 (1972)
Drake, Harold J.
Stone, pp. 1153-1173 ff. PDF (2.1 MB)
1154 MINERALS YEARBOOK, 1972 DIMENSION STONE DOMESTIC PRODUCTION Production of dimension stone in 1972 decreased about 8% in quantity and 3% in value from the levels of the preceding year. Production totaled 1.5 million tons valued at $90.8 million. Output of dimension granite in 1972 totaled 621,000 tons valued at $42.6 million, increases of 8% and 11%, respectively, from those of 1971. Production of limestone and dolomite was off 12% in quantity and 5% in value. Production of marble declined to 71,000 tons valued at $16.5 million. Production of sandstone, quartz, and quartzite totaled 231,000 tons valued at $7.7 million compared with 332,000 tons valued at $10.1 million in 1971. Slate production was down 15% from that of 1971. Domestic production of rough dimension stone totaled 850 thousand tons valued at $23.1 million. Of this quantity, 34% was accounted for by monumental stone, 34% by architectural stone, 28% by construction stone, and 4% by flagging. Less than 1% was accounted for by miscellaneous uses. Production of dressed stone totaled 642,000 tons valued at $67.7 million. About 28% of this was cut and sawed, 20% was curbing, and 17% was house stone veneer. The remainder consisted principally of flagging, monumental, and construction stone. In terms of value, however, the principal dressed stone varieties were cut stone and monumental stone. CONSUMPTION AND US-ES Apparent -consumption of dimension stone in 1972 was valued at $125 million, 6% higher than in 1971. Almost all the increase was accounted for by increased imports. Consumption of domestically produced dimension stone in 1972 was lower than in the preceding year. Tonnage of stone used in 1972 compared with 1971 was as follows: granite, up 8%; limestone, down 12%; marble, down 5%; sandstone, down 30%; slate, down 15%; and miscellaneous stone, down 1%. In terms of value, apparent consumption of granite, which accounted for about two-fifths of total dimension stone consumption in 1972, totaled $52 million, up about 13%. Consumption of marble totaled $32.6 million compared with $30.2 million in 1971. Consumption of limestone, sand- stone, and quartzite, in total, was 13% below the levels of 1971. PRICES Delivered prices of dimension stone are dependent upon stone variety, finished form, and market location and are not reported to th-e Bureau of Mines. Average unit values for dimension stone in 1972, as reported to the Bureau of Mines, are as follows, in dollars per ton: Monu Buil Rough ding Dressed mental, rough and Flag- ging dressed Granite 28.01 .. 66.85 .. Marble 48.22 259.79 . .. Limestone 21.28 57.11 . 13.67 Sandstone 12.81 55.14 . .. Slate .. 174.37 31.83 Miscellaneous... 13.81 130.78 . - . - FOREIGN TRADE U.S. exports of dimension stone were valued at $3 million, a level about 22% below that of the preceding year. Approximately one-third of the exports was dolomite, one-half of which was sent to Canada. Nearly all of the remainder was sent to Central and South America. Exports of monumental and building granite were valued at $652,000, nearly all of which was sent to Canada and Japan. Approximately two-thirds of the slate exports consisted of roughly split, squared, or sawed material and one-third consisted of worked slate. Canada again was the principal recipient of this material. Exports of miscellaneous, building, and monumental stone totaled $1.2 million. Canada received 63% of this material; the remainder went principally to Mexico, Japan, Brazil, West Germany, and France. U.S. imports of dimension stone in 1972 totaled $34.2 million compared to $26.6 million in 1971. Marble accounted for about 47%; granite, 27%; slate, 17%; and travertine, 9%. Imports of marble were valued at $16.1 million, a 27% increase over the level of the preceding year. Imports of granite rose 23% to $9.4 million, and imports of travertine stone were up 12% to $3 million. Imports of slate sharply increased to $5.7 million compared with $3.4 million in 1971. Principal import
http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/| As a work of the United States government, this material is in the public domain.| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright