Bureau of Mines / Minerals yearbook: Metals, minerals, and fuels 1972
Year 1972, Volume 1 (1972)
Ampian, Sarkis G.
Clays, pp. 301-327 ff. PDF (2.9 MB)
1971 1972 State Short tons Value Short tons Value 432,689 348,043 2,580 $12,220,273 7,729,590 50,591 353,473 405,170 2,080 $9,709,923 9,053,440 41,857 230,602 4,019,162 227,815 4,012,899 CLAYS 309 the amount of lower cost bentonite shipped for iron ore pelletizing. Exports in previous years -consisted of a larger percentage of the lower cost pelletizing grades. Domestic bentonite producers were facing increased competition in foreign markets. Bentonite from the Greek island of Milos was reportedly being blended with the U.S. clay for pelletizing Canadian taconite ores on a large scale. Bentonite was exported t-o 71 countries, a decrease of 4 from the previous year. The major recipients were Canada, 56%; Australia, 9%; West Germany, 7%; United Kingdom and Singapore, 6%; each; and others, 16%. Domestic bentonite producers reported the end use of their exports were iron ore pelietizing, 43%; foundry sand, 40%; drilling mu-d, 13%; and others, including animal feed, oil refining catalysts, and waterproofing and sealing, 4%. Table 13.—U.S. exports of bentonite as reported by producers in 1972, by use Use Short tons Drillingmud 56,666 Foundry sand 167,130 Pelletizing (iron ore) 183,458 Other' 15,840 Total 423,094 ' Includes animal feed, oil refining catalysts, waterproofing and sealing, and other uses. FULLER'S EARTH Production of fuller's earth in 1972 declined 3% in quantity and the total value declined 5%. The unit value assigned by domestic producers decreased $0.61 in 1972 to $23.08 per ton. This decrease in value was due primarily to the lower values reported by Florida producers. Georgia producers reported modest increases in unit value. Fuller's earth product-ion was reported from -operations in eight States. The top two producing States, Georgia (41%) and Florida (36%), accounted for 77% of the domestic production. The other six States accounted for the remaining 23%. Georgia, Mississippi, and Tennessee showed gains in production, while Illinois, California, Florida, Texas, and Utah declined. Fuller's earth is defined as a nonplastic clay or claylike material, usually high in magnesia, which has adequate decolorizing and purifying properties. Production from the region that includes Attapulgus (Decatur County'), Ga., and Quincy (Gadsden County), Fla., is composed predominantly of the distinct lathshaped amphibole -clay mineral attapulgite. Most of the fuller's earth produced in the other areas of the United States contains varieties of montmorillonite. Prices for fuller's earth were not publicly quoted in 1972, but the per-ton values reported by producers ranged from $14 to about $29. Table 14.—Fuller's earth sold or used by producers in the United States, by State Florida Georgia Utah Other States'________________________________ Total 1,013,914 24,019,616 988,538 22,818,119 ' Includes California, Illinois, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Texas. Exports of fuller's earth to 40 countries increased from 27,000 short tons in 1971 to 39,000 tons valued at $1.7 million in 1972. Export tonnage increased 44% and its valued increased nearly 47%. The unit value of exported fuller's earth rose nearly $0.68 per ton. The major recipients were the United Kingdom, 26%; Canada, 21%; acid other countries, the remaining 53%. Imports of fuller's earth in 1972 were 43 short tons valued at $3,000, all from the United Kingdom. Imports increased nearly 23%. COMMON CLAY The domestic production of comnioii clay and shale in 1972 totaled 46.1 million short tons valued at $74.0 million. Corn-
http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/| As a work of the United States government, this material is in the public domain.| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright