Bureau of Mines / Minerals yearbook: Area reports: domestic 1972
Year 1972, Volume 2 (1972)
Brown, Brinton C.
Iowa, pp. 269-284 PDF (1.5 MB)
269The Mineral Industry of Iowa This chapter has been prepared under a cooperative agreement between the Bureau of Mines, U.S. Department of the Interior, and the Geological Survey of Iowa for collecting infonnation on all minerals except fuels. By Brinton C. row' Iowa ranked 31st in the United States in the value of its mineral production which reached another ailtime high of S134,496,000 in 1972, surpassing last year's record by 5%. Increased output of nonmetallic minerals, with the exception of lime and sand and gravel, combined with higher prices, more than offset decreased production and value of coal and peat. Nonmetallic minerals dominated the State's mineral production, with 97% of the total value; the remaining 3% was mineral fuels comprising mostly coal. Mineral production value in the State was divided as follows: Portland cement, 37%; stone, 36%; sand and gravel, 15%; gypsum, 4%; coal, 3%; clays, 2%; masonry cement, 1%; and the remaining 2% lime, peat, and gem stones. Although petroleum has not been produced since 1963, this was the second year in which no applications were made for permits for oil tests. However, 161 drilling permits were issued during 1972: 24 for gas injection/withdrawal wells, three for observation wells associated with Iowa's five gas storage projects, and 134 for stratigraphic tests. Natural gas deliveries were curtailed to "interruptible" customers during cold weather, which led to a run on alternate fuels —oil and propane. These fuels were also in short supply nationwide and an acute shortage developed that was responsible for closing some mineral processing plants during the winter. Farmers also had difficulty obtaining fuel for drying a huge corn crop before storage. Legislation and Government Programs.— The following Federal legislation enacted during 1972 can affect mineral producing Mining engineer, Division of Nonmetallic Minerals—Mineral Supply. Table 1.—Mineral production in Iowa' 1971 1972 Quantity Value Quantity Value Mineral (thousands) (thousands) Cement: Portland thousand short tons__ Masonry do~.,..Clays do..., 2,393 66 2 1,028 989 W 1,154 18,279 25,389 $47,925 1,719 2 1,702 4,609 W 4,460 20,530 44,977 2,458 66 1,047 851 NA 1,380 17,107 27,457 $49,635 1,916 2,643 4,138 1 5,714 20,140 48,642 Coal (bituminous) do..._Gem stones Gypsum thousand short ton&...Sand and gravel do..,~....Stone do.._.. Value of items that cannot be disclosed: Clay (fire) (1971), lime, peat, stone (dimension) (1971), and values indicated by symbol W Total XX 1,899 XX 1,667 XX XX 127,821 108,686 XX XX 134,496 P 111,887 Total 1967 constant dollars P Preliminary. NA Not available. W Withheld to avoid disclosing individual company confidential data; included with "Value of items that cannot be disclosed." XX Not applicable. 1P~uction as measured by mine shipments, sales, or marketable production (including consumption by producers). 2 fire clay; included with "Value of items that cannot be disclosed." Excludes certain dimension stone; included with "Value of items that cannot be disclosed,"
http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/| As a work of the United States government, this material is in the public domain.| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright