Bureau of Mines / Minerals yearbook: Metals, minerals, and fuels 1972
Year 1972, Volume 1 (1972)
Klingman, Charles L.
Sodium and sodium compounds, pp. 1147-1151 ff. PDF (528.3 KB)
1147Sodium and Sodium Compounds By Charles L. Klingmanl Production of sodium compounds from natural sources, trona and dry lakes and well brines, accounted for practically all the increased sodium output in 1972. Soda ash (sodium carbonate) made from natural sources increased 12.3% compared with the output from this source i-n 1971. On the other hand, soda ash manufactured from salt by the Solvay process increased only 0.6% compared with 1971 output. Salt cake made from brine increased 1.9% compared -to an equal decline i-n output of manufactured sodium sulfate. Several manufacturers of naturally derived sodium compounds completed sizable increases in ' their production capacity in 1972 and announced plans for further increases through 1975. Metallic sodium also showed a small increase in production. Most of it was consumed in the manufacture of tetraethyl and tetramethyl lead, compounds used as gasoline additives. Despite proposed stringent standards for air pollution from automotive exhausts, the expected decreases in the use of these compounds failed to materialize. DOMESTIC PRODUCTION In 1972 total soda ash production increased 5.3% over that of the previous year as compared with a 2.7% per year average growth rate since 1958. Practically all the 1972 growth occurred i-n natural soda ash. The portion of the total ash production, which came from natural origins, increased from 40.1% in 1971 to 42.8% in 1972. The average unit value of natural soda ash reported by producers, - increased 5.0%, and the -total value of the 1972 natural soda ash output increased 18.0% above comparable figures in 1971. Total sodium sulfate showed no change in output. In a trade-off, the manufactured product declined a-nd the natural product increased 1.9% compared with 1971 figures. The fraction of sodium sulfate derived from natural sources crept up from 50.7% to 51.6% of the total. Metallic sodium production increased 4.5% over that of 1971 to a total of 159,881 short tons. 1 Physical scientist, Divi,ion of Nonmetallic Minerals. Table 1.—Manufactured and natural sodium carbonates produced in the United States (Thousand short tons and thousand dollars) - - Year Manufactured soda ash (ammonia-soda process)'2 Natural sodium carbonates' - Quantity Quantity Value 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 4,596 4,540 ' 4,393 4,275 p4,301 2,043 42,104 2,495 50,922 2,678 56,320 ' 2,865 60,774 3,218 71,689 P Preliminary. ' Revised. ' Current Industrial Reports, Inorganic Chemicals, U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Census. ' Includes quantities used to manufacture caustic soda, sodium bicarbonate, and finished light and dense soda ash. - ' Soda ash and trona (sesquicarbonate).
http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/| As a work of the United States government, this material is in the public domain.| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright