University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Dominy Craftsmen Collection

Page View

Hummel, Charles F. / "English Tools in America: The Evidence of the Dominys" from Winterthur Portfolio
(Winter 1965)

English firms producing tools used by the Dominy craftsmen,   pp. 37-46 PDF (2.3 MB)


Page 41

This chisel, useld by the Domin craftm(en to make narrow grooves in decorating
their cabinetwork, is stamped JOHN  GREEN but cannot be assigned to a specific
craftsman. During the last quarter of the eighteenth century and for at least half of
the nineteenth century, several members of the Green family produced tools in Sheffield.
John Green and Son, Hannah Green and Son, and Jane Green and Son are described
as "edge tool makers" in the 1774 Directory. To make the attribution more difficult,
Hannah Green and Son are identified with the mark John Green in the 1787 Directory,
perhaps erroneously. The clue to the maker probably is the term CAST STEEL
stamped on the chisel blade. This term indicates that the chisel was produced in the
nineteenth century, when many Sheffield firms adopted cast steel for tools. The 1817
Directory lists John Green, "Factor," on Burgess Street, the same street on which John
Green and Son were located in 1774. The subsequent directories of 1820 and 1833 list
a John Green as a "fork, knife, and scissor manufacturer." Another John Green, a
"file cutter" in "Chapel yard, Bow Street," appears in the 1833 Directory and again
in the 1841 Directory with a change of address to the "Gas office yard, Bow Street."
Athough the maker of the fluting chisel cannot be determined with certainty, the tool
probably was made in Sheffield, where several craftsmen were active from 1817 to 1833
who could have used the mark "John Green" as well as the term "cast steel."
HILL, MICHAEL
FILE (RASP) : ca. 1797; steel; L. (including handle) 93%" (63.156.48, Gift of
CRESTLEA FOUNDATION).
The trade-mark illustrated above appears next to the name of Michael Hill, "File
Maker" at 62 Pond Street, only in the Directory of 1797. He is not listed in the Di-
rectory of 1787 nor in that of 1817, the only guides published before and after 1797.
KENYON, JOHN AND COMPANY
FILE: 1774-1841; steel; L. 534" (63.156.209, Gift of CRESTLEA FOUNDATION).
John Kenyon, "file manufacturer," is first listed in the 1774 Sheffield Directory in
partnership with a relative, Joseph Kenyon. The firm was in "Holles-Croft" (listed in
subsequent directories as "Hollis-croft" and "Hollis Street"). By 1787 John Kenyon
was in business alone at the address of 1774. In the directories of 1774 and 1787, his
mark is listed as the initials IK. Between 1797 and 1817, his firm became "John
Kenyon and Co., Filemakers." The Directory of 1828 records that this company was
still located in "Hollis-croft" and describes members of the firm as "merchants, saw,
file, bar, and sheet iron and steel manufacturers." By 1833 the firm had moved to
41
WINTERTHUR PORTFOLIO II


Go up to Top of Page