Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution : and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)
The great iron works of the United States, pp. 475-495
484 GREAT IRON WORKS IN THE UNITED STATES. The Ulster Iron Works-J. & L. Tuckerman, Proprietors, At Saugerties, New York, are celebrated for the excellent quality of Bar, Band, and Hoop Iron made there, and known as the ULSTER IRON. These Works were built by Henry Barclay, in 1824, who adopted the style and carried on business as the Ulster Iron Company. In 1844, they passed into the hands of Horace Gray & Co., as lessees, and in 1847 they were leased by Joseph and Lucius Tuckerman, who not long afterward purchased them, and by whom they have been owned ever since. In 1863, Mr. William Mulligan became connected with the Works as Manager, and since 1864 the manufacturing operations have been carried on under the name and style of Tuckerman, Mulligan & Company. The principal Mill is of stone, brick, and frame, two hundred and thirty-five feet long, and one hundred and seventy-three feet wide. It contains eight double and one single Puddling and five Heating Fur- naces, six Trains of Rolls, and one Hammer. All the rolls are run by an Overshot Wheel of twenty-five feet in diameter and eighteen feet face. A large Breast Wheel, thirty feet in diameter and nine and a half feet face, which was built for other works, drives the Hammer. This hammer weighs, perhaps, four tons, is raised by a cam lift, and is used for hammering puddle balls. There is also in the mill a very large Burden Squeezer of the old pattern, which is used only in case the hammer is out of order. The Blast for the furnace is obtained by means of three Dimpfel's Blowers, which are run by a Turbine wheel. The Works have the first right upon the creek to water, and have never been stopped for want of water. The great flood of February, 1857, destroyed the dam, and consequently stopped the Works about four months, but during this time a new and more substantial structure was erected, which gives them one among the very best water powers in the country. The iron consumed is chiefly Anthracite Pig No. 1, with some Char- coal Pig. No Scrap, except that made in the Works, is used. The ore used in the puddling furnaces is known as the Cheever ore, and the coal is Cumberland, Pictou, and Blossburg, mixed. The annual product is six thousand five hundred tons of manufactured Iron, dis- tinguished for its high grade, and the uniformity with which the quality has always been maintained. About two hundred and eighty hands are employed in these Works.
http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NKC/1.0/| For information on re-use see: