University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture

Page View

Bishop, J. Leander (John Leander), 1820-1868 / A history of American manufactures from 1608 to 1860 : exhibiting the origin and growth of the principal mechanic arts and manufactures, from the earliest colonial period to the adoption of the Constitution : and comprising annals of the industry of the United States in machinery, manufactures and useful arts, with a notice of the important inventions, tariffs, and the results of each decennial census
Volume 3 (1868)

The great iron works of the United States,   pp. 475-495

Page 477

The aggregate productive capacity of all these furnaces is about
sixty thousand tons per annum.
The Puddling and Rolling-Mills of the Company comprise, the
former, one building, one hundred and fifty by ninety feet, containing
twenty furnaces ; one building, three hundred by ninety feet, contain-
ing thirty-two furnaces ; one building, four hundred and fifty by eighty-
two feet, containing twenty-eight furnaces, and three high train puddle
rolls-in all eighty furnaces, with steam boilers over each ; and the
main Rolling-mill building is five hundred by one hundred and forty
feet, with fifteen heating furnaces, six trains of three high rolls, ten
steam-engines, and one seven ton Nasmyth steam hammer. These
mills have a productive capacity of thirty-five thousand tons finished
iron, principally Railroad bars.
The purchase of the present site of the town of Scranton, was made
by several of the members of the present Lackawanna Iron and Coal
Company in July, 1840. The place at that time consisted of five
small dwellings, a saw-mill, grist mill, school-house and cooper shop.
Now the town contains about fifteen thousand inhabitants.
The foundations of the first blast furnace-now in ruins-were laid
in September, 1840, and after several ineffectual attempts in 1841, was
finally blown on January 18, 1842, blowing about two weeks without
making any iron of consequence; after that, the furnace began to work
fairly, and the blast was continued till February 26, when the heating
oven gave out, having run five and a half weeks, making in all seventy-
five and a half tons of pig-iron. The Rolling-mill buildings were com-
menced in May, 1844 ; and it was here that in July, 1847, the first
stationary steam-engine was started in the Lackawanna and Wyoming
valleys, from Carbondale to Wilkesbarre, a distance of about thirty-five
miles, comprising the greater part of this celebrated Anthracite coal
field, where now not less than five to six hundred stationary steam-en-
gines are constantly running. This Company have now in operation
thirty different stationary steam-engines in the prosecution of their
business. Attached to the Works are about seven thousand acres of
coal and timber lands, with two hundred and fifty tenement houses for
workmen. About one hundred and twenty thousand tons of coal are
mined annually, nearly all of which is consumed at the works.
The officers of the Lackawanna Iron and Coal Company, at present,
are JOSEPH 11. SCRANTON, President; DAVID S. DODGE, Treasurer;
EDWARD C. LYNDE, Secretary; EDWARD P. KINasnURY, Assistant
Treasurer; JOSEPH C. PLATT, Real Estate Agent and Storekeeper;
and CHARLES F. MATTES, General Superintendent.
4 1 7

Go up to Top of Page