Aligned 
First English edition of the Nuremberg chronicle: being the Liber chronicarum of Dr. Hartmann Schedel…
FOLIO CXXIX verso

Constantinople, the imperial and highly renowned city was called Byzantium while it was still small, and afterwards Constantinople. When Constantine the Great, for greater security of the imperial throne against the Parthians, decided to proceed from Rome to the East, he (as some historians state) went to Troy, where once upon a time Agamemnon and other Greek princes pitched their tents against Priam; and there he undertook to lay the foundations of a royal city. But as our Savior in a dream pointed out to him another place, he left the work unfinished; and of this indications remained for a long time. And from Thrace he sailed to Byzantium. That city he soon enlarged, building new fortifications and high towers and improving the city with beautiful public and other buildings, so that it was very deservedly called a second Rome. The ancient historians who saw the city in its flower treasured it as the home of the gods on earth, rather than that of emperors. This emperor called the city New Rome; but according to common opinion the city retained the name Constantinople, after its founder. This city was from time to time improved with public and other fine tall buildings to such an extent that strangers coming there were so astonished at its appearance that they regarded it not merely as the home of mortal sinners but of the celestials as well. The walls of this city were celebrated the world over for their height and thickness, and its defense was skillfully provided for. They write that the city was triangular. On two sides it was touched by the sea, and by its walls it was secured against naval attack. The land side was surrounded by a moat outside the fortifications. This city had twelve gates through which its beauty might be observed. In addition to other very magnificent buildings the church of Sophia was built there by Justinian, the emperor, and it is worthy of universal admiration. It was provided with nine hundred priests, and was built with wonderful skill and of costly materials. The city was visited by all the peoples of the East and was the home of some of the learned men of Greece. There three great councils were held. Due to its renown and prosperity this city aroused the envy of the Turks and suffered under their cruelties. In the Year of our Salvation 1093 it was besieged by a great force and was taken. Afterwards the Gauls, together with the Venetians, occupied this city for fifty-five years. Next the noble race of Genoese, called Paleologi, took the city from the Gauls and incorporated it in their dominions, retaining it until 1453, when