Aligned 
First English edition of the Nuremberg chronicle: being the Liber chronicarum of Dr. Hartmann Schedel…
FOLIO XCVIII recto

the great river of Germany, originates in the German mountains, and sixty navigable rivers flow into it. It flows by this renowned city, and over it is a very strong bridge with many arches built in the year of the Lord one thousand one hundred and fifteen. The most Christian emperor, Charlemagne (Karolus Magnus), subjugated the whole of Bavaria by force of arms; but Taxillo (Taxilo), the Duke of Bavaria, together with his neighbors, the Huns, made war against Charlemagne. Before long he made peace with them, receiving a number of hostages. And he turned against the city of Regensburg and the unbelievers in it, capturing the city and compelling them to accept the Christian faith. In the same war a great number of unbelievers and Huns were slain before Regensburg. Charlemagne lost a number of men there, who lie buried in the Basilica of St. Peter outside the city. Afterwards this city greatly prospered and increased, and was thereafter adorned with an episcopal church dedicated to St. Peter. Before that time it was called the church of St. Remigius.[Remigius, also called Remi or Remy (c. 437-533), was bishop of Reims and the friend of Clovis, whom he converted to Christianity. According to Gregory of Tours, 3,000 Franks were baptized with Clovis by Remigius on Christmas Day, 496, after the defeat of the Alamanni. Many fictions have grown up around his name; for example, that he anointed Clovis with oil from the sacred ampulla, and that Pope Hormisdas had recognized him as primate of France.] This celebrated structure has not yet been completed. The city is also adorned with a large cloister, that of St. Emmeran, of the Benedictine Order. Here also are two abbeys to Our Lady, an upper and a lower, and in the lower, Bishop Erhard lies at rest. Many houses in this city have consecrated churches and their own priests. Emperor Arnolfus, out of particular affection for this city above all other cities of the realm, enlarged it with a wall, comprehending the cloister of St. Emmeran, which he beautified. Then, as he returned from battle between the Normans and the Bavarians, he gave the relics of St. Dionysius the Areopagite to this cloister in his old age, together with a beautiful book of Gospels written in letters of gold; and finally he was buried there. This city is glorified by the esteemed martyr St. Emmeran, the bishop, and with St. Wolfgang, the eleventh bishop of the city, who worked wonders there and built St. Paul’s Cloister. So also Albertus Magnus, a man highly informed in learning and all the arts, officiated here as bishop.

Rejoice, Regensburg (Ratisbona), for your excellent gifts:
You enclose four bodies of saints in yourself,
Bodies that are most pleasing to us. There is the holy Dionysius,
First in the number of these; Emmeran (Emerammus) praise no less;
Wolfgang and Erhard, neither of whom is slow in providing a cure.
With the prayers of these four and of others
We are led from here to the stars of the happy heavens.

Regensburg, or Ratisbona, a very ancient city in that part of Bavaria, formerly called Rhaetia secunda, is a city and Episcopal see of Germany, and the capital of the government district of the Upper Palatinate. It is situated on the right bank of the Danube, opposite the influx of the Regen, 86 miles northeast of Munich, and 60 miles southeast of Nuremberg. The pre-Roman settlement of Radespona was chosen by the Romans, who named it Castra Regina, as the center of their power on the upper Danube. It was made an Episcopal see in the eighth century by Boniface, and from the eleventh to the fourteenth century it was one of the most flourishing and populous cities of Germany. It became the seat of the dukes of Bavaria and was the focus from which Christianity spread over southern Germany. Emmeran founded an abbey here in the seventh century. Regensburg acquired the freedom of the empire in the thirteenth century. It became the chief seat of the trade with India and the Levant, and the boatmen of Regensburg are frequently heard of expediting the journeys of the Crusaders. Numerous imperial diets were held here in the Middle Ages, and from 1663 to 1806 it was the permanent seat of the Imperial Diet. The Reformation found only temporary acceptance at Regensburg, and was met by a counterreformation inspired by the Jesuits. Before this time the city had almost wholly lost its commercial importance owing to changes in the great highways of trade. Regensburg is said to have suffered in all no fewer than 17 sieges. By the peace of Luneville it was adjudged to the primate Dalberg, and in 1810 the town and bishopric were ceded to Bavaria, after the disastrous defeat of the Austrians beneath its walls the preceding year, when part of the town had been reduced to ashes.

St. Peter’s Cathedral at Regensburg is one of the principal Gothic edifices in Bavaria. Its foundations were laid in 1275, but the building was not completed until 1524. The two towers, each 303 feet high, according to the woodcut, were in course of construction when the Chronicle was issued and were not completed until 1869. The structural arrangement of the interior resembles that of the Strasbourg Minster. The sumptuous high altar is entirely covered with silver. In the cloisters, adorned with ornate windows, are the tombs of cannons and wealthy citizens.

The oldest Christian structures date back to the Carolingian period, and for the student of the art history of the early Middle Ages Regensburg is almost as important as Nuremberg is for the subsequent centuries. Some of the numerous ancient owners, and the mansions of the old patrician families, with their towers of defense, dating from the 13th century, are a reminiscence of early German civic.

On the north side of the cathedral is the Bishop’s Palace, built about 975 by Wolfgang, eleventh bishop of the city, of whom the Chronicle makes mention as having worked wonders here and as the builder of St. Paul’s cathedral.

The Dominican Church, begun in 1273 and completed in 1400, is a well-proportioned early Gothic edifice; while the former old Benedictine Abbey of St. Emmeran is one of the oldest in Germany. Built in the 13th century, and remarkable as one of the few German churches with a detached belfry, the beautiful cloisters of the ancient abbey, one of the oldest in Germany, are still in fair preservation. In 1809 its conventual buildings were converted into a palace for the prince of Thurn and Taxis, hereditary postmaster-general of the Holy Roman Empire. Next to it is the Church of St. Emmeran, with the tombs of the martyr St. Emmeran (c. 700 CE), Emperor Henry the Wrangler, who died in 995, and the Blessed Aurelia.

In place of the seven-line poem that concludes the description of Regensburg in the Latin text of the Chronicle, the German edition offers the following sentences (in prose): "As the holy relics of four saints—St. Dionysius, St. Emmeran, St. Wolfgang and St. Erhard, are here treasured up. Thus this city may indeed be deservedly happy in its possession of these holy patrons and fathers before the Almighty God."