Aligned 
First English edition of the Nuremberg chronicle: being the Liber chronicarum of Dr. Hartmann Schedel…
FOLIO CX verso

Metz (Metis), a very renowned city in Lower Gaul, was also called Mediomatricus, being the central mother of three cities located about namely, Trier (Treverim) to the north, Toul (Tullum) to the south, and Verdun (Viridinum), to the west, while Metz itself is picturesquely located to the east. The city derived its name from Metius, the Roman, who augmented and strengthened it, although he was not its builder. When Julius Caesar subdued the Gauls and besieged this praiseworthy city, this highly renowned and noble Roman, Metius, enhanced the city and surrounded it with battlements. When he came there in person he conducted the nobility through the fortresses and suburbs, and then, with great jubilation, into the city itself. He gave it the name of Metz in accordance with an inscription on a stone found beneath the surface of the earth. Some say it was called Dundunum (Dividunum), that is, Mountain of the Gods, a mountain that may be seen to the north and west. The city is located on the shores of the Moselle and the Seille (Salie). It is well populated, and a mighty episcopal city, having accepted the holy Gospel from Bishop Clement, Pope Clement’s uncle, who was sent there to preach. This same Clement was the noble son of the Roman consul, and a brother of Faustinian, the father of Clement the Pope; and he was baptized by St. Peter. When Gaul was laboring under various erroneous beliefs, he was consecrated a bishop, and together with Celesta the priest, and Felice the deacon, was chosen to exalt the Christian faith in these parts. And afterwards, in honor of St. Peter, they erected a chapel called Gozzia within three thousand feet of the city. During a chase the Count of Metz came upon these men and brought them into the city. This noble city is very strong and mighty, accustomed to war and the use of arms, rich in fields, farms, vineyards, forests and moisture, and is very fertile. However, by reason of a certain contamination it was very arid for a long time. A great dragon lay hidden in the sandy region where a costly building, in the nature of a boundary mark was erected by Octavian. These parts the dragon poisoned with his breath; and in consequence the south and east gates were closed to all. But the pious Clement, who through his virtue and teachings had led the people to worship God, deprived this animal of all its poison by means of his stole; and from that moment this region has been free of all unclean animals. Later he also established St. Peter’s church beyond the walls as a mistress of the entire bishopric. This church, having been exalted by the devotion of the people, was afterward consecrated to St. Stephen, and became an episcopal church. Beyond the city he established a chapel to St. John the Baptist, and in his old age a church not far removed from the city and in a position where it could be more openly appreciated; and in it he provided a crypt and a wholesome spring. Before the portal he erected an altar in honor of St. Peter, its patron. Having secured the city for the Lord and freed it of all uncleanliness, and having given it a good administration for twenty-five years and four months, he gave up his Spirit to the Lord on the 23rd day of the month of November, having given renown to the city of Metz by his piety.[Metz, the Roman Divodurum, was the chief town of the Mediomatrici, and was also called by the Romans Mediomatrica. Metz is a contracted form. Still later it was called Metis or Mettis. In classical times it was located in what was called Gallia Belgica. The Mediomatrici were a people in the southeast of Gallia Belgica, on the Moselle, south of Treves. Their territory originally extended to the Rhine. Caesar describes it as one of the oldest and most important towns in Gaul. The Romans recognized its strategical importance, fortified it, and supplied it with water by an imposing aqueduct, the remains of which still exist. Under the Roman emperors Metz was connected by military roads with Toul, Langres, Lyons, Strasbourg, Verdun, Reims, and Trier. Christianity was introduced in the third century, and in the middle of the fifth the town was plundered by Attila. Later it came into the possession of the Franks, and was made the capital of Austrasia. On the partition of the Carolingian realms in 843, Metz fell to the share of emperor Lothair I as the capital of Lorraine. Its bishops, whose creation reaches back to the fourth century, now began to be very powerful. Metz became a free imperial town in the 13th century, and soon became prosperous. Having adopted the reformed doctrines in 1552 and 1553, it fell into the hands of the French and was defended against Charles V by Francis duke of Guise. It now sank to the level of a French provincial town, and its population dwindled from 60,000 to about 22,000. At the peace of Westphalia in 1648 Metz, with Toul and Verdun, was formally ceded to France. It was taken by the Germans in 1870 and ceded to them in 1871. It was retroceded to France after the First World War.]