Aligned 
First English edition of the Nuremberg chronicle: being the Liber chronicarum of Dr. Hartmann Schedel…
FOLIO CXC verso and CXCI recto
ILLUSTRATION
City of Ulm (Ulma)

A special double-page woodcut is devoted to the city of Ulm. It is depicted as the typical fortified medieval city, the Danube flowing along its walls. In the background is rugged and elevated country, for the city lies at the foot of the Swabian Alps. Behind the walls the great cathedral of Ulm is seen in process of construction. Hoisting apparatus, indicating that the tower is not yet completed, may be noted at the top of the structure. The church was begun in 1377, one hundred and sixteen years before the Chronicle was written, and was not finally completed until the year 1890. Although the city was already a flourishing one in 1493, due to the navigability of the Danube as far as Ulm, very little shipping is indicated. At one point a swan is swimming down the river; at another place we see two rafts; to this we add a gondola and two rowboats, and we have the extent of Ulm’s shipping as seen by the woodcutter. A few houses and other structures are indicated behind the walls, but there is little evidence of human activity. Here and there shrubbery and trees may be noted—possibly elms—introduced to bear out the derivation of the city’s name from the elm. A single bridge crosses the river connecting the city with its counterpart, New Ulm, on the opposite side of the river. The bridge enters the old city through a tall tower elaborately decorated with murals. The Blau and the Iller, branches of the Danube, which flow through the city, are not indicated.