Aligned 
First English edition of the Nuremberg chronicle: being the Liber chronicarum of Dr. Hartmann Schedel…
FOLIO CLXXX recto

on the river Aller;[Werden, on the Aller, was formerly the seat of a Benedictine abbey.] the seventh, in the monastic church at Münster;[Münster, capital of the Prussian province of Westphalia, has been an Episcopal see since the 9th century. The bishopric was secularized in 1803, and annexed to Prussia.] the eighth, at Hildesheim;[Hildesheim, an ancient town, became an Episcopal see in 815. After the inhabitants succeeded in shaking off the supremacy of the bishops, Hildesheim joined the Hanseatic League. It was a free town of the empire until 1803.] the ninth, at Hamburg.[Hamburg, on the river Elbe. As early as 811 Charlemagne founded a castle here, to which he soon added a church, presided over by a bishop, whose mission it was to propagate Christianity in the northern provinces.] The tenth Episcopal church is the highly celebrated see of Magdeburg, on the Elbe, rounded in honor of Saint Maurice.[Magdeburg, which lies mainly on the left bank of the Elbe, is the capital of the Prussian province of Saxony. The archbishopric of Magdeburg was carved out of the bishopric of Halberstadt when it was founded in 968.] This see was, however, first established by Charlemagne at Styde,[Stade, a town of Germany, situated on the navigable Schwinger about 3½ miles above its confluence with the Elbe, and 20 miles west of Hamburg by rail.] on the domain of the grays[Gray Friars. Gray was the original color of the Franciscan habit. The reformed Franciscan monks introduced the dark-brown tunic.] of Swalenworch, and now of Lippia. Later this see was transferred to Walerszleva (Valersleve);[Breslau (Latin Vratislavia; today it is best known by its Polish name, Wroclaw) is first mentioned by the Chronicler Theitmar, bishop of Merseburg, in 1000, and was made the seat of a bishop in the eleventh century. It formed part of Poland until 1163, became the capital of an independent duchy at that time, and passed to Prussia in 1741 before passing back to Poland after World War II. (See Breslau, Folios CCXXXIII verso and CCXXXIIII recto, below).] then to Urese, and finally, in the Year of Salvation nine hundred thirty, Emperor Otto changed it to Magdeburg. Through his help and request it was elevated to the primacy[Primacy, the chief dignity in a national church or ecclesiastical province. The ecclesiastical province of a primate.] in Alemannia. There Saint Adelbert, a man possessed of all the virtues, was the first bishop. In this city of Magdeburg is a beautiful church built of quarter stone in honor of Saint Maurice, the very noble work of Emperor Otto; and there rest the remains of Saint Florencius. It is believed that in that place is one of the six water jars in which, according to the stories of the evangelists, the Lord Christ our Savior made wine out of water. It is shown to the people there. It is light, made of marble, and holds as much wine as a horse can carry. And they also say that another and smaller jar is at Hildesheim. Saint Maurice’s banner is exhibited here every year. The citizens possess and observe a book of the laws confirmed to them by the emperor Charles the Great.[The , or ‘Mirror of the Saxons’, is the oldest German law book of the Middle Ages. According to most recent investigations it appeared between 1221 and 1224, and was edited by a knight named Eike of Repgow, who was not a jurist. It was originally published in Latin, and was translated into the German by the editor himself at the request of Count Hoyer von Falkenstein. The sources are customary laws, statutes and judgments of the courts. It is the first prose work in the Low German language.] To this place the people of the vicinity resort for justice. There is also a statue of Roland, the friendly kin of Emperor Charles—an overly strong man, who after a great battle and the defeat of the enemy, was slain in action by the Vasconians, while he was leading his army from Spain back to Gaul. And this is the Roland who (as they say) excelled all other men in strength of body and greatness of mind, so that his great deeds and practices are praised and celebrated throughout the world.[Magdeburg (in early times Magadoburg) in the year 805 was designated as a marketplace by Charles the Great. In 923 and 924 the city was almost completely destroyed by the Wends and Slavs, who had allied themselves with the Hungarians; but Editha, wife of Otto the Great, rebuilt it and surrounded it with walls. In 936 Otto here founded the monastery of St. Maurice, which two years later was converted into an archbishopric. In 1188 the city suffered severely through fire; but it soon recovered and joined the Hanseatic League. Toward the end of the fifteenth century the city appears to have achieved its independence of the archbishops, most of whom resided outside the city, chiefly at Halle. Yet it never completely freed itself of them, and never became a free city of the empire. The Schoppenstube (court of Sheriffs), established here at an early date, was held in high esteem during the Middle Ages. The city attained its greatest prosperity in the beginning of the 16th century, when the population numbered 40,000 inhabitants. The Reformation took hold of Magdeburg in 1524.]