Aligned 
First English edition of the Nuremberg chronicle: being the Liber chronicarum of Dr. Hartmann Schedel…
XCI verso and XCII recto
ILLUSTRATION
CITY OF AUGSBURG

The city of Augsburg (Augusta) is depicted in a woodcut that extends over the greater part of two opposite pages. Although specially intended to represent the ancient city of Augsburg, the illustration contains nothing by which it may be identified. In the foreground, one proceeding from the left, the other from the right, are two little streams, creeks, or possibly only a moat, which may be intended for, but can hardly be dignified as the rivers Lech and Wertach, at whose confluence the city was built. The waterfront shows no signs of life, no development, commercial or otherwise. The waters are very shallow, and the shores covered with an abundance of vegetation, consisting chiefly of bulbous trees and shrubs, all of the same mold. The general terraine would seem to be correct, for Augsburg does lie on a hill. The city is surrounded by an unusually well fortified wall, which fairly bristles with towers and turrets; and there are large military towers within the city which vie with numerous church steeples, almost all of the same type. But how are we to identify the great cathedral, with its two Romanesque towers, dating from the tenth century? The woodcutters have often introduced church towers in pairs, but not so here. And which is the church of St. Affra founded by Ulrich (1474-1500), so finely proportioned, with its 300 ft. tower? And where are the broad streets of which this community has boasted for centuries. We look in vain! Just another stock medieval city!