Story of a century, 1848-1948 : Manitowoc County during Wisconsin's first hundred years
Religion, pp. 80-95 PDF (5.3 MB)
erORY OF A CENTURY tor, 52 ministers have headed the Manitowoc church. A Methodist church was or- ganized and maintained in New- ton for many years. The struc- ture is still standing although abandoned for church purposes about 25 years ago. About 15 years ago it was purchased by Newton township for a town hall. Wesley Methodist The Wesley Methodist Episco- pal congregation was formed in Manitowoc in 1854 as the German M. E. church. The church is lo- cated at Ninth and Hamilton streets. The present structure was built in 1882 and is one of the older church edifices of Man- itowoc. German Lutherans The early Lutheran pioneers who came from Germany about a century ago were from the prov- inces of Mecklenburg and Han- over. Unlike their ancestors of present day Lutherans who came to America to escape religious persecution, these forefathers of Lutheranism in our county came to escape economic and social con- ditions in Germany. In the spring of 1851, Pastor Carl F. Goldammer. a young man educated for the ministry and sent by the Barmen mission of Barmen-Wuppertal, Germany. came to Newtonburg. in our county at the request of a small group of settlers and established the first German Lutheran con- gregation there. Pastor Goldam- mer also walked to the small vil- lage of Manitowoc to hold services every second Tuesday in the dis- trict school house at the corner of Washington and Seventh streets. The growth of the village of Manitowoc brought a demand for a new congregation in the vil- lage. In 1853, the first step was taken when a lot on the north- east corner of South 10th and Marshall streets was purchased. In the spring of 1854, Pastor Goldammer resigned his county missions to devote more of his time to the newly organized Mani- towoc congregation. As the first site purchased was deemed un- satisfactory, the property at South Eighth and Marshall streets was in part purchased and in part re- ceived as a gift from Sam Hinck- ley of New York. Lutheranism has kept pace with the development of the county. Most of the Lutheran congrega- tions are affiliated with the Wis- consin synod. There are now 13 county parishes, several of which consist of more than one congre- gation. Five of them have full time Christian day schools. Some of these were organized and main- tained for spiritual purposes as early as 1868, offering a complete academic curriculum, as well as religious instruction. Schools are maintained at Maribel, Manito- woc, Two Rivers, Reedsville, New- tonburg, and in Liberty. Set Up In Newtonburg The first German Lutheran church was set up at Newton- burg in 1852 with Rev. C. F. Goldammer as pastor. The struc- ture of logs built in 1852 was re- placed in 1860 by a frame edifice, and that replaced in 1888 by a brick church which burned in 1922. The new and present brick church was dedicated in 1923. The congregation has always main- tained a school in connection with the church and today has the present frame school house west of the church consisting of one classroom. A parent off-spring of the New- tonburg church was the First Ger- man Evangelical Lutheran church at Eighth and Marshall streets. The congregation was at first a mission of Rev. Goldammer until 1854. A frame church was built on the site in 1855 and replaced in 1873 by the present brick struc- ture. The church school was taught by the pastol until 1864 89 MANITOWOC COUNTY, WIS.
Images cannot be copied or reproduced without the written permission of the Manitowoc Public Library. For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright